torrent.

gengiscant 18:28 25 Apr 08

For or against.

I love it.

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:03 25 Apr 08

Fully explained and reasoned argument. For or against. I love it.

Forum Editor 19:08 25 Apr 08

if you love something, and you're for it, you probably aren't that interested in the views of people who are against it.

Nothing I would say is going to make you change your mind, so I'll not say it.

lisa02 19:52 25 Apr 08

The movie starring Greta Garbo?

Can't say I'm a fan but I'm sure she was good in her day.

tullie 19:56 25 Apr 08

OK,here goes,its rubbish.Mostly used by illegal downloaders.And i said mostly,not entirely.And its slow..so there!

tullie 20:36 25 Apr 08

To be honest,it would be interesting to know which companies use this system,and why you think its fast.

interzone55 20:37 25 Apr 08

I wouldn't say torrents are secure.

The reason companies use torrents for distribution is that anyone downloading a torrent is also uploading it to other users, this means that the downloaders share the distribution costs, this is a good thing for companies like Ubuntu who will see a couple of million people downloading the new distribution this weekend, they'd never be able to get the software out to so many people if the bandwidth wasn't shared.

BBC tried a torrent system for the iPlayer, but it wasn't successful for some reason, i don't know why because I didn't use it.

mrwoowoo 20:38 25 Apr 08

Thank you,a sensible answer at last.
Plus points.
1. Can easily resume a download from where you left off if you get disconnected from a large download.
2. Fast if a lot of people are seeding.
3.Future applications?
Nowadays, indexing the web accurately has become a huge and seemingly impossible job to complete. So P2P search engines could be the next solution - where every user provides an input.
So with all the available bandwidth being consumed at an alarming rate,p2p could be the way to go.
Bad points.
1. Can be very slow if not enough seeders.
2. Can leave you exposed to viruses and other
malware.
3. Many ISP'S now block or restrict P2P.

mrwoowoo 20:41 25 Apr 08

Oh forgot another bad point.
As tulie said,most p2p networks are awash with illegal and copyright material.
Although anyone with an ounce of common sense will know what is or isn't illegal.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:01 25 Apr 08

Making a vague statement dos not really engender any useful debate...but I assume that you know that when you are not drunk.

pip, pip!

G

laurie53 07:53 26 Apr 08

I thought it was just a simple request for votes For or Against, not for reasoned or any other argument

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now