Top Gear is under fire, yet again!

The Brigadier 14:55 04 Nov 08

Top Gear is under fire, yet again, by the BBC after Jeremy Clarkson – its outspoken lead presenter – made jokes about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes.

"Change gear, change gear, check mirror, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day," he said. The team were attempting a number of their usual high-jinks challenges, only this time in articulated lorries.

Though Clarkson, May and Hammond scoffed at the idea initially, when they finally got into their trucks they realised just how much hard work was involved. After puffing his way through a series of gear changes, Clarkson admitted it was very hard working driving a lorry.

Clarkson’s quip has generated 188 complaints. In a statement, the BBC said, “The vast majority of Top Gear viewers have clear expectations of Jeremy Clarkson's long-established and frequently provocative on-screen persona.

“This particular reference was used to comically exaggerate and make ridiculous an unfair urban myth about the world of lorry driving, and was not intended to cause offence.”

Before this recent gaffe, Top Gear befell the anger of the BBC Trust after Jeremy Clarkson and James May were seen drinking while driving, during their attempt to reach the Magnetic North Pole last year.

The Brigadier 14:58 04 Nov 08

I really did not think that people took what Clarkson/Hammond/May to heart.
Most would have laughed as i did when Clarkson injured himself. After all the pee taking he did about Hammonds injury last year

simonjary 15:02 04 Nov 08

Would I be cynical to suggest that some BBC PR has engineered these complaints to catch a whiff of the Brand/Ross scandal to help promote Top Gear?

simonjary 15:03 04 Nov 08

And, please, don't take my mention of R*ss/B***d as reason to comment further on that sad affair...

newman35 15:05 04 Nov 08
  Pine Man 15:10 04 Nov 08

I don't often watch Top Gear as they seem to have lost the plot a bit and just keep driving high powered cars around a track as fast as they can to wear the tyres out! (or so it seems)

BUT I did watch the program with the bit about lorries and found it absolutely hilarious. Those people who complained need to get a life!

The Brigadier 15:36 04 Nov 08

Would no dream of it squire.
But TG would be boring if Clarkson was reined in!

Forum Editor 17:39 04 Nov 08

and what he does and says should be regarded with that in mind. I'm sure he didn't set out to alienate lorry drivers - he's simply insensitive, and plays to the camera.

The BBC probably understands that they're paying the presenters of this programme to behave like children,so nobody should be surprised when they do just that. The programme obviously gets a huge audience of people who like watching childish antics with cars and other vehicles, so why bother about the odd tacky gaffe?

Belatucadrus 17:42 04 Nov 08

Does it strike you that the production teams efforts to kill Clarkson are getting more overt as time goes by ?

Drive car over thin creaking ice pack.
Drive car through lion territory, having just been persuaded to take the doors off.
Drive through gun toting red neck heaven whilst in a wreck daubed with insults.
Cross the channel in a leaky pick-up truck.
Drive burning lorry.
Drive same burning lorry through brick wall.

It's either a balding middle aged man attempting to prove that there's still a smidge of testosterone flowing through his veins or a serious attempt to get him to kill himself.
Best of luck to all concerned.

Stuartli 17:47 04 Nov 08

The whole show is very carefully scripted - Clarkson, in fact, writes a lot of the script.

Try reading his column in Top Gear if you want controversy..:-)

egapup 19:00 04 Nov 08

"Jeremy Clarkson is a buffoon"
No he isn't.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Samsung Galaxy Book review: Hands-on with Samsung’s high-end hybrid

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is probably one of the best bank ads we’ve seen

Apple Watch 2 vs Huawei Watch 2 comparison review: watch out for 4G smartwatches Apple