Top five books of all time . . .

HighTower 23:02 07 Aug 08

I don't read much, and never really have. I've always preferred cinema but recently have decided to make an effort and start reading more.

So, I though I would ask what you thought the best books you've ever read are. From this I'll make a top 5, buy them, read them and hopefully it will grow to be something I'll enjoy for years to come.

Don't care when published, what subject or which author.

Any recommendations?

Brumas 23:14 07 Aug 08

click here
Have a trawl through this little lot :o)

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:28 07 Aug 08

Books are special. So much so that I don't think I could come up with a personal top five - there are so many good books, I couldn't choose one over the other.

I thoroughly enjoy the dragonlance chronicles by Margaret Weis and Tracey Hickman - Like Lord of the Rings but less pretentious

I enjoy Steven King and Dean Koontz.

I'm currently reading the second book by David Wolstenholme (I think) who created the BBC show spooks - "contact zero", enjoyed the first "good news bad news".

Robert Ludlum is good - The Bourne films are based on his books.

Tolstoy, Ian Rankin, Enid Blyton, Peter Robinson - the list is pretty much endless, tbh.

As a "non reader" who is interested in cinema, I would recommend you start by reading books on which films you have enjoyed are based.

Eargasm 23:39 07 Aug 08

Five on a treasure island
Five run away together
Five go to smugglers top
Five get into trouble
Five have a mystery to solve

That's my top Five books :-)

Jim Thing 23:39 07 Aug 08

I've just finished ploughing through the three pages of Brumas's 'little lot' and I'm amazed that Joseph Heller's 'Catch 22' didn't get a single mention. It made me laugh out loud more than any other book has done, before or since.

Blackhat 23:44 07 Aug 08

My first recommendation would naturally be my own first published book but I cannot detail it here as it would be blatant advertising, not allowed on this forum.

Having read on average 1 book a week for the last 20+ years and over 1000 retained in my library I will detail my favourites from 5 different categories.

Biography; Songbird, Eva Cassidy.
Science Fiction; Foundation Trilogy, Isaac Asimov.
Factual; Spycatcher, Peter Wright.
History; Gods in the sky, Allan Chapman.
Humour; Riotous assembly, Tom Sharpe

I began writing myself when I ran out of quality reading material in my favourite category and though I could do just as good as some of those I had read. My first book is still selling 2 years on, my second is due for publication at the end of this year and my third is under construction.

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:47 07 Aug 08

Blackhat, I'm interested in the book you have written - what genre is it?

If this breaches forum rules, I'd be happy for you to use the enevelope beside my name

HighTower 23:51 07 Aug 08

Eargasm - like your choice of top 5 books!

The idea of catching up with books that I really should have read by now like Catch 22, War and Peace, The Great Gatsby is appealing. They are all so well known even though I've never read them!

Regarding films, I've spoken with so many people about movies who say "It was good, but the book's better!"

HighTower 23:53 07 Aug 08

Blackhat - I'd like to know too, what's your favourite category?

tasslehoff burrfoot 23:53 07 Aug 08

"It was good, but the book's better!"

True in most cases. What sort of films do you like?

HighTower 23:58 07 Aug 08

Thanks for the link - I remembered that post and searched for it but couldn't find it. Must have missed it as it was titled "The Catcher in the Rye" rather than "Book recommendation" or similar.

Plenty there to look at! Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5