Top 10 Low Pass Jet Flyby's

alB 20:54 18 Aug 10

Plenty of skill on show in these clips and bravery from the bloke at No3 ...alB

click here

sunnystaines 22:07 18 Aug 10

the harrier shot in clip 3 was excellent should have been rated number 1

ams4127 22:31 18 Aug 10

I was ground crew for the Lightning display in 1972. We travelled all over Europe and had a ball. I can't remember the pilot's name after all these years but he was one of the best I've seen.

We asked him once how he got his aircraft so low during his low level, high speed pass. His reply was that he lined up with the runway centreline at about 450 knots and just kept gently pushing the control stick forward. When the aircraft wouldn't go any lower he reckoned that he was riding his own shockwave and that his ventral fins were about three feet off the ground!!!

At RAF Wildenrath he pulled out of his run and asked for the crash barrier to be lowered as it was too high.

At Newcastle, part of the turnround servicing in volved us pulling part of the approach hedge out of his port aileron.

Oh happy, happy days.....

ams4127 22:32 18 Aug 10

"involved"

Strawballs 22:37 18 Aug 10

I remember seeing that at an air show when I was about 10 or 11 and when it just turned its nose skyward and opened it up it scared the hell out of me as the ground shook!!

Dragon_Heart 22:57 18 Aug 10

When they do that thesedays all the car alarms go off in ALL the car parks. The first time I saw it was a Russian fighter doing a 'square' up and over roll.

morddwyd 08:00 19 Aug 10

Best one I ever saw was not a jet, but a Polish WW2 pilot saying goodbye in a Shackleton in 1959.

There is a type of WWII hangar called the Type C, which has a row of single storey offices along each side, and the roof of these offices was lined with cameras.

Photographs of that pass showed the roundels on the upper surface of the mainplane, and the flypast was not up the the nice clear centreline of a runway, but over a normal aircraft dispersal.

I recall he had to lift a wingtip to get over a building at the end of his run.

He had permission to make two runs but only made one, and later admitted that he frightened himself so much on the first that he decided against making a second!

You don't get many Polish pilots admitting to being that frightened.

I saw many such runs in the next thirty odd years, both public and "for private consumption" but have still not (yet) seen anything to compare.

Al94 08:26 19 Aug 10

The guy in clip 3 did well not to duck!!

onthelimit 08:58 19 Aug 10

Some crackers there, but this is my all-time favorite click here

onthelimit 08:59 19 Aug 10

There is some 'language' at the end.

onthelimit2 13:39 19 Aug 10

dont forget the cheese onthelimit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…