Too Many Gold Medal Winners.

Bing.alau 21:42 PM 20 Aug 12
Answered

I heard a rumour that because there are so many gold medal winners at the Olympics, that it may not be possible for them all to be honoured in the New Year's Honours List... Ahhhh! what a shame.

Who will they choose then?

Aitchbee 22:24 PM 20 Aug 12

Without sounding too flippant...I think someone with the Midas touch will sort out the Gold 'Nuggets' from the 'also ran gold medal winners'.

J.Hunt is that midas man...if he is still in office.

Condom 22:39 PM 20 Aug 12

I'm pretty sure that one or two will be honoured in some way to go with their gold post box and stamps. Perhaps they will do it the Forces way and honour the heads who are supposed to receive it on behalf of the others (excuse me while I choke);-)

The stamps have so far cost me over £100 and the thought of dozens more in the Para Olympics is going to cost me even more despite hearing that their stamps will be in sets of two rather than six like the others. I will also have to factor in the cost of the album sheets to hold all these mini sheets...what a field day for Stanley Gibbons.

I'm glad it happened for probably the last time in my life.

john bunyan 09:00 AM 21 Aug 12

Honours are also rationed. I suspect only 2 knighthoods or damehoods - to go to people with long history in successive Games (Like Redgrave), CBE's for multi gold winners, OBE's and MBE's for others (less rationing as you go down the scale) Coe o get a CH or (less likely) a OM.

Bing.alau 09:16 AM 21 Aug 12

I think they made a bit of a boobie in the first place, by awarding honours to sports-people and people in the entertainment business. It is now coming back to bite them. Whoever they are.

csqwared 09:59 AM 21 Aug 12
Answer

I have long been critical of the honours list and the way they are dished out. My own view is that honours should be reserved for people who have made a difference doing what I call 'extra curricula' activities. The honours seem to go to people who have been doing what they are paid to do, usually quite well, rather than those who utilise their skills, spare time and money for the greater good. Services to art,entertainment, sport etc.?? I don't think so!!

Quickbeam 12:36 PM 21 Aug 12

Seb Coe certainly deserves a higher honour for his achievement in bringing and organising a very successful Olympic games.

He has done a great job of raising the profile of Great Britain greatly and I and very grateful to him for what he has done this summer.

Quickbeam 12:37 PM 21 Aug 12

...did I over to the greatlys a bit too greatly?

interzone55 13:14 PM 21 Aug 12

Seb Coe was made a Lord because he failed miserably as an MP, and the Tories wanted to keep him close. Maybe we can now consider he's earned that title and keep it at that.

As for honours being given to people who've earned them, whoever thought of that idea, they've always been dished out to those in favour, it's just the target has shifted from the landed gentry to pop-stars & sports people.

Very few people do anything special to earn major honours, for that you need to look at the MBE section of the list...

interzone55 14:52 PM 21 Aug 12

fourm member

I'm not talking votes, I'm talking about his record whilst in parliament - he didn't exactly excel himself...

Woolwell 15:30 PM 21 Aug 12

Seb Coe represented Falmouth and Camborne which is/was in LibDem land with strong Labour tendencies due to the port and mining. His predecessor as MP could well have been elected on personality and Coe followed. He probably did well to come second in 1997.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

OnePlus 2 UK release date, price, specification: OP2 confirmed in VR product launch - full OnePlus…

Why Vodafone’s frequency choice should interest you: The benefits of 800MHz

Motoman robots: from killing The Terminator to samurai swordmanship

Why Apple's being criticised for everything, even the good things