todays Headlines in MSN =Cancer!

postie 07:43 23 Mar 05

I know this has nothing to do with computers but scaremongering affects everyone .... In today new portion in MSN says " We will die from skin cancer in 30 years time or at the very least suffer from skin cancer.
WHY? How about all the people on Australia lying on Bondi beach and all the Americans lying on Datona beach or even the people just sun bathing.
This is just a load of nonesense. If such was the case there would be no Americans or Ozzies as they would have died years ago when they settled these countries from over exposure to the sun so how can the skin 'experts' say we are going to get skin cancer
SORRY but this has been bugging me for years and I have nowhere else to mouth off about it

§ 09:58 23 Mar 05

postie that's just the latest in a long line, including (to name but a few) food poisoning via chicken eggs, half the country going to have aids by the year 2000, a chicken flu pandemic and Iraq firing missiles at us within 24 hours.

octal 10:23 23 Mar 05

And you might get killed crossing the road, but we still do it all the time! Its a case of being sensable, you wouldn't cross the road without looking, why sit out in the sun till your skin gets damaged?

You are quite right to mouth off about it, the trouble is with all the information overload we start to get insulated by it all, in the end the warnings get ignored.

Forum Editor 20:39 23 Mar 05

this is not "just a load of nonsense" - it's a serious problem, and it's getting worse.

American and Australian settlers did get skin cancer in large numbers, but they weren't aware of the cause. The incidence wasn't as high as it is now because in those days a tan wasn't at all fashionable - if you had a tan you were branded as a menial labourer - so people protected themselves from sunburn as much as possible.

When I was quite young - around seven years old my family moved to Sri Lanka (then called Ceylon). My father was a serving officer in the Royal Air Force, and we lived in several locations in the Far East for quite a few years. My brothers and I ran around in the tropical heat wearing nothing but a pair of shorts all day, every day, and needless to say we were soon a deep brown colour. My father had red hair and a pale complexion, and he suffered quite badly from sunburn. Many years later - when he was in his late sixties - he developed a Melanoma on his arm, and had to undergo urgent and painful surgery to remove it. For the rest of his life - unfortunately not too many years - he had to ensure that sunlight never touched that arm.

I am now at the age when my prolonged exposure to tropical sunlight might well come home to roost, and I'm aware that the current research report is far from being a scaremongering issue - my clients in Sydney tell me that several of their friends have died from Melanomas developed over years of lying on Bondi beach.

Don't disregard the advice you're being given by the authors of this report, because you may well regret it much later in life. Go onto Bondi beach now and you'll see lots of little booths handing out free sun-tan cream. The Australian governenment takes skin cancer very seriously indeed, as do most sensible Australians.

I can't comment about the people on Daytona beach.

tasslehoff burrfoot 21:42 23 Mar 05

Also, ozone layer plays a part.

This is the earths naural "filter" if you like, and (if the experts are right) if it continues to deteriorate then we will see a huge increase in skin cancer.

I think we may be looking at more than 30 years though.

BTW I am not an expert so may be wrong!

VoG II 21:54 23 Mar 05

Sit in front of your computer with the blinds drawn and just sufficient artificial lighting.

Whatever you do, do not use one of those tellingbone thingies.

Forum Editor 23:41 23 Mar 05

is a fool.

Melanoma is currently the fastest growing cancer worldwide - there are more new cases of melanoma each year than there are of HIV/Aids, and in women between the ages of 25 and 30 it is the primary cause of cancer death.

There have been no significant advances in the treatment (or survival rate) of advanced Melanoma for over thirty years, and some hefty research investment is needed to stop millions of people dying from this type of cancer over the next thirty.

Pegasus. 05:06 24 Mar 05

I have Always made sure My Children had an ample supply of the Highest Factor Sun Block!

My Youngest was Born with Blond (Almost white) Hair & He would Burn even in the Mildest of Sunny weather!

Anyone that has done Mig/Tig Welding Knows How Easy it is to Damage Your Skin with Over exposure to Harmfull Rays!

Mr Mistoffelees 20:33 24 Mar 05

From NHS Direct:-

Melanomas are removed surgically along with a wide area of normal-seeming tissue around them. A skin graft may be needed. Where the melanoma is 1mm thick or less, the survival rate is 90 per cent. This emphasises the importance of avoiding delay in reporting any suspicious changes.

In the case of malignant melanoma of the choroid of the eye, it is usually necessary to remove the eye.

Still think it is not worth taking seriously?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…