Today - The Weather and Gooseberries.

Aitchbee 07:06 AM 01 Aug 11

The BBC's Radio4 'Today' is a stripped-down version due to jounalists' industrial action.Worth a listen.It will keep John and Sarah on their toes this morning...

Quickbeam 10:12 AM 01 Aug 11

I'm not sure where the gooseberries come in, but after washing them, cover them in water with some lemon juice, 25% sugar and a cinnamon stick, bring to the boil, simmer until they start to split, leave to cool, then chill in the fridge and serve with ice cream. Pudding heaven...

Aitchbee 11:07 AM 01 Aug 11

Quickbeam - 'the weather and gooseberries' were two of the highlighted featured topics. I enjoyed today's 'Today' this morning. I always knew you were a Gooseberry Fool :o)

Bingalau 16:02 PM 01 Aug 11

I inherited a couple of gooseberry bushes in my garden which are still giving lovely small red gooseberries in abundance every year. My only problem is to beat the dickie birds to them as they ripen. Problem solved this year as I bought some netting to drape over the bushes. Result, a few nice goosegog pies in the freezer. Lovely grub, but I was getting sick of eating them too often. So froze them.

interzone55 16:39 PM 01 Aug 11

I once went to the pictures with my sister and her boyfriend - I was a gooseberry then...

Pine Man 19:09 PM 01 Aug 11

Prick the gooseberries then fill two thirds of a kilner jar with the berries and their weight in sugar. Top up the jar until full with GIN and leave it for about six months shaking occasionally.

The resultant juice is amazing and the fruit covered in cream is nearly as good!!!

Bingalau 19:53 PM 01 Aug 11

Pine Man. Best suggestion i've heard in months. Do you think it will work with rum?

Quickbeam 20:09 PM 01 Aug 11

I agree with Bingalau's opinion!

It should work well with any spirit of your choice, but I would think gooseberries would be better in the white rum, or any other white spirit (except the stuff you use to clean paint brushes). For dark rum try plums or blackberries.

I think I now know what to plan for a Christmas pudding:)

Pine Man 20:10 PM 01 Aug 11

Yup! I've tried that as well.

Actually at the moment, apart from some gooseberries in gin, I also have a jar containing fresh pineapple chunks, brown sugar and rum, which should also be left for about six months.

My advice to anybody trying either of these recipes is to shake the jars for the first two weeks then hide them! The temptation to attack them before the six months is up is unbeleivable.

Quickbeam 20:11 PM 01 Aug 11

...or cherries, there's plenty of them around at the moment and you get the added bonus of a cherry stone spitting contest!

Aitchbee 21:24 PM 01 Aug 11

Can I grow gooseberry bushes in big pots. I haven't got a garden...this year it's tomatoes and peppers.Hope to try new food crops next year. When I was a wee boy, me and my pals used to skip into a neighbour's garden and try some of the gooseberries. That was 45 years ago.Haven't eaten one since. Maybee it's time to relive the past.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016