Today I'm mildly irritated by...

dagbladet 13:33 04 Apr 10

Automated queue..Please enter your mobile number followed by a hash...beep, beep, beep etc...

Real person "Good morning, before we continue, can you give me your mobile number?"

"It's the one I just typed in"

"Sorry I'm not with you"

"I just typed the number in when requested"

"Yes can you give me it again..."

I know I shouldn't get irritated by these things but I just do.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:12 04 Apr 10

"I know I shouldn't get irritated by these things but I just do."

You are not alone!

peter99co 14:38 04 Apr 10

I typed my Phone Number in at Virgin and had to give it again or my account number to a person who said he would have to transfer me. I was transfered to another helper and had to re-enter it. When I got through to the second person I was asked again for my Phone or Account number.

They gave me a free phone number to ring to check Status of the Broadband connection because they had a temporary fault. When I dialed the number it did not work!

johndrew 15:33 04 Apr 10

In my opinion, automated queues are one of the biggest curses in modern technology.

Rang the doctor .. your in a queue ...

Same with utilities and pretty much any larger business.

Have even had it when `phoning the local police.

Ah well, that`s my rant for the day. Many thanks for `listening` all.

spuds 15:45 04 Apr 10

Ever had the "Please give your number" then informed that "the number is not recognised, we will put you through to one of our advisor's". A few minutes of "Please hold on, your call is important to us", then the advisor's tells you that "there is a problem with our computer system, can you phone back later". Now that can get very irritating, especially if you want a prompt answer. Been there and got the T-shirt ;o((

Monoux 16:18 04 Apr 10

I think I'm right in saying that the receipient of calls to 0845 type number gets a percentage of the call charge so it is their interest to prolong the call with announcements re calls will be recorded etc etc before you neven get to the metal mickey bit of press 1 for this 2 for somethng else and so on.

It seems to me that this practice started to mushroom about the same time phone companies introduced a fixed monthly fee for your calls to numbers beginning 01 and 02.

cynical -- Moi ?

Woolwell 16:55 04 Apr 10

"Please hang on - your call is important to us and an advisor will be with you as soon as possible" - if the call is important to them then employ more people or have a more efficient system so that the call is answered quicker.

interzone55 17:57 04 Apr 10

Which would you prefer

1) an engaged tone
2) A message stating that your call is in a queue so please wait
3) Higher charges from the company because they've taken on more staff in the call centre

Last week I had to phone BT, I got the usual queue message & music for a few minutes then a different message "We are experiencing a high volume of calls, please enter your phone number and we'll call you back within one hour"
I tapped in my phone number, put the phone down & the kettle on and the phone rang, BT calling back in less than a minute.
Co-incidence that I reached the head of the queue as I put the phone down, or did they get me to put the phone down so they could call me as an outgoing call is cheaper than the 0800 charge?

Woolwell 18:07 04 Apr 10

I wish more companies would do that - take your number and ring back.

morddwyd 18:46 04 Apr 10

"Date of Birth"

"Age"

Consecutive questions on many official forms!

WhiteTruckMan 19:24 04 Apr 10

an engaged tone. That way I can hit automatic redial instead of sitting there paying for a call that I am getting no benefit from.

WTM

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…