Tips for buying a new car?

realist 12:11 12 Jul 07

I always seem to end up paying too much, haggling not being my best suit.

Any tips to save me £££ on my imminent purchase,

I don't really want to buy "online" preferring the after-sales support offered by a local dealership.

Did you get a good deal on your last purchase?

SB23 12:31 12 Jul 07

I did get a good deal with my last car.

The thing is I'm an ex salesman, and don't have problems with haggling. At the end of the day all they can say is no.
My father asked for tips when he was replacing his car last year from a dealership. He walked away with a great money off deal, upgraded stereo, mud flaps and mats. They are always wanting to make a deal, I know, I used to, rather than loose one.
Try it, what have you got to loose, and you may get the deal that you want. Just remember to keep control of the conversation, don't let the saleman tell you what YOU want and can afford.

Steve

anskyber 12:37 12 Jul 07

Two rules for me.

1. Check on the Parkers Guide Target price for aceivable discounts and do not settle for less.click here

2. Buy (it's worth it) an online Glass's Guide valuation for your own if you are trading in. click here

madgamer234 12:42 12 Jul 07

a brand new car? then it has to be - don't.
unless you have loads of dosh and you don't mind losing a fortune by simply driving it home.

oresome 12:59 12 Jul 07

If you're purchasing from a local dealer, go armed with prices on offer from car supermarkets and the like.

Decide how much extra you're prepared to pay for the convenience of purchasing locally.

Show real interest that you wish to purchase and most sales people will be keen to do business if they're in with a chance of making a sale.

newman35 13:06 12 Jul 07

Just remember, be prepared to "Make your play, and walk away".

The threat of losing a sale will spur on the salesman to cut his commission even more.
Never give the impression that you really 'must have' the vehicle, that way you can maintain some control.

interzone55 13:20 12 Jul 07

Plan to buy towards the end of a month, or even better just before the registration number changes. Plenty of bargains to be had then as the dealer aims to reach their targets.

If you want the new reg number finalise the deal before the end of the month, but take delivery the next month.

One trick I found was to ask which colours are in stock, pick one you like then ask for one that isn't in stock, you may be offered a discount to take a "second" choice.

Choose your options carefully, some cost a fortune but add little to the resale value.
Don't go for fitted Sat Nav, it'll add a grand to the price but can't be updated, whereas an after market model will cost you a couple of hundred, but can be updated and can be moved from car to car.

Don't be swayed by fashion & brands, I have a Skoda - Volkswagen / Audi build quality and components, but at much lower cost. If you don't believe me lift the bonnet of a Skoda and witness the Audi logo on the engine and other components. Look at the dashboard of a Fabia, then look at an A3, same dials, different badge.

jack 13:51 12 Jul 07

All good advice
plus- wait until a new model or an update is announced- and take a look at last weeks model
filled with Gizmo's and at giveaway[well nearly] prices

totally agree with fourm member, it works both ways, deliver a closed question and shut up, whoever breaks the awkward silence, has lost!

realist 19:12 12 Jul 07

Thanks for the tips.
One in return, if you use the new car configurator on the Peugeot UK website you can, at the end of the process, click a link to get a free pukka Glass's valuation for your existing car.

Stuartli 19:34 12 Jul 07

It's a marvellous feeling to drive a new car (I should know, I've driven far more than my far share) but, in the end, you might as well save money by buying a six to 12 month old "nearly new" model.

However, if you really do want a new car, don't be put off buying on the Internet from reputable companies - the saving can be well into four figures, you will very probably collect it at the marque's main dealership nearest to you and you will have the same openings to warranty cover and servicing.

Most internet companies negotiate the level of discount on a new car that you would find very difficult to do and pass most of the saving on to you in the purchase price.

Buy the latest copy of What Car? and note their "target" discount price for a range of makes and models; you'll also learn which internet companies to rely on.

Car salesmen and women basically look to sell you a car at the best price they can get from you - unless you are as equally sharp and streetwise, you will never know whether you got the best possible deal.

Also check out what the part X price for your own vehicle you should expect (obviously it will be less for a cheap model than a more expensive replacement); you will then have an idea of the price to pay (i.e. the difference for your part X and the negotiated price of the new model).

Don't be frightened either to get some accessories thrown in, a full tank of petrol or free servicing for a set period.

It's your money - you can spend it anywhere you like and on what you want, not necessarily on what particular car a salesman is offering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…