Tinned tomatoes...

Quickbeam 16:23 PM 29 Sep 08

I went to the co-op for the above to make a lasagna and found they had a load of cans with a Sept 08 date for only 10p. So I bought 48 cans (2 cases). They won't go off for years yet... Whoopee!

interzone55 16:38 PM 29 Sep 08

I buy mine from Lidl - 14p is the normal price, so I don't have to buy a bootful...

Stuartli 16:38 PM 29 Sep 08

That news has really made my day.....:-)

wiz-king 16:42 PM 29 Sep 08

They may do. Tinned tomatoes are one of the few things that are acidic enough to eat through the lacquer on the inside of the tin allowing the juice to come into contact with the metal and corrode it. Strangely enough another member of the same plant family does the same thing - potatoes!

Clapton is God 16:45 PM 29 Sep 08

OK, let's get this really interesting thread moving along.

I've never bought 48 cans of tinned baked beans because they make you f*** a lot.

Next post, please ...

BT 16:51 PM 29 Sep 08

Tinned tomatoes are one of those things that are just as good in the economy packs as in the expensive branded packs.
I saw a TV documentary a while back where sweetcorn was being packed into cans on a huge scale. The interesting thing was that all the cans were stacked in the warehouse unlabelled and the labels were only applied when they were sent out to customers. In other words all brands were the same apart from the labels. I stongly suspect that the same thing happens to tomatoes.

A little tip. If you are buying to make sauces buy the chopped tomatoes. They might cost a couple of pence more but there isn't so much juice - you get more tomato for your pennies!

Forum Editor 16:52 PM 29 Sep 08

with bated breath tonight.

Coffee Adict 16:56 PM 29 Sep 08

I remember my mother telling me that the whole family suffered food poisoning just after the war and a can of tinned tomatoes was the cause. I know techniques have improved since then, but do be careful. Might I suggest a day of lasagna and bolognese making for freezing may be in order.

Si_L 17:20 PM 29 Sep 08

I'm sure 'fart' is an acceptable word on these forums. Don't want to mislead people do we? ;)

Clapton is God 17:21 PM 29 Sep 08

What makes you think it was fart?

It could have been 'fast' ;-))

ronalddonald 17:24 PM 29 Sep 08

what can you do with 48 cans i know become a tomatoe head or be canned or not to be canned king of the cans

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites