Tinned Fruit

morddwyd 15:37 15 Mar 10

We have found several tins of fruit at the back of the cupboard which are well past their date.

Normally I would not be too bothered but I know that botulism is a serious threat with fruit, so what do you think?

Don't worry, FE, I won't sue if I die!

Quickbeam 16:14 15 Mar 10

If they're off, you'll know as soon as the can is opened.

Quickbeam 16:19 15 Mar 10

I now buy fruit in the resealable plastic jars, that way I always have some chilled in the fridge and don't feel I have to eat the whole tin, or decide not to have any because I only have a big tin and I'm on my own, and it would only go to waste.

Bapou 16:42 15 Mar 10

November last I was in hospital for 10 days. One evening for dinner I chose peaches to finish off with. Like the rest of this hospital's food they did not taste very appetising but hunger had to be satisfied.

Closing the plastic box they came in, on the lid a notice said "Use before November lst '09." This was now the 30th!

The auxiliary who served the meals was well known as being none to friendly and the previous night had refused me a second cup of coffee.

When she came to clear away I held on to the peaches box, pointing out the expiry date and would be writing to the Daily Mail first chance.

I was not refused a second cup again!

Ex plorer 16:42 15 Mar 10

Ha nice trick to sue once dead ;)

Back in my day when I was a lad tined food didn't get thrown away if it smelt OK and tasted right you ate it. (not to mention it was rare)
But then if your smell was out and you didn't have good tasting buds you could end up with guts ache or worse.

I used to collect eggs for my grad-dad they were free range and eggs and turned up all over.
Testing them was with a bucket of water if they sank they were OK and the ones that floated were not.
We used them as targets for catapult practice.

OK so we are now wiser to when food is not at its best but in what tonnage is wasted on a daily basis.
If don't use a whole tin I put it in a small air tight container in the fridge till needed.

Forum Editor 17:47 15 Mar 10

in commercially canned food - almost all cases caused by preserved food occur in America, where people commonly can their own fruit.

Botulism spores release a gas,and that makes affected tins swell. If your tins show any signs of swelling, or there's a release of gas when you puncture them, chuck the lot away.

Quickbeam 18:16 15 Mar 10

I continued to make some good lasagne with my short date tinned tomatoes for 6 months after the sell by date and am still here...

canarieslover 19:21 15 Mar 10

I remember seeing a program on TV where various people were trying to get new products to Tesco. If their product passed muster they got shelf space in the stores. A question was asked about sell-by dates on cans and how they were determined. The answer was that the only way that they could be determined was that a sample had to be produced and kept for as long as you thought reasonable, re-opened and tested for quality, then if all was OK then that was the length of time you could use. Obviously no manufacturer is going to keep a sample that would enable a 10 years on sell-by date so I should think that most tinned food is safe well beyond what is stamped on the can. Condition of the can is probably the surest way to determine if the contents are OK, if its rusty then chuck it!

Bingalau 20:02 15 Mar 10

Quickbeam. I bet you thought someone was going to start the tinned tomato subject again didn't you?

WhiteTruckMan 20:13 15 Mar 10

Tomatoes were fruit anyway, so tinned tomatoes is perfectly valid in the context of the thread title.

Anyway, morddwyd didnt actually say what kind of fruit.

WTM

morddwyd 20:21 15 Mar 10

Thanks for all the responses.

I think I'll do a bit of careful selection - one of them dates from 2005!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017