Times to start charging for website

Al94 09:07 26 Mar 10

from June click here I think I would rather go back to buying papers than pay for online access. Presumably others will follow this lead.

Quickbeam 09:13 26 Mar 10

The Times, they are a changin'...

Quickbeam 09:16 26 Mar 10

Will anyone subscribe to any papers? I only flip through the various paper sites which doesn't make it worth paying for.

On the other hand, I'd pay a BBC site subscription as there is so much more besides news.

Paul-1379466 09:47 26 Mar 10

I've just deleted the site from my bookmarks. If everyone starts charging it looks like I will have to revert to the telly.

mr simon 09:48 26 Mar 10

There is no shortage of news elsewhere on the internet, some of it better quality too. There is no site I would pay £1 a day to use.

I can understand the need to bring income in from that sector, but I think they are going about it the wrong way.

ella33 09:59 26 Mar 10

BBC online news seems to cover the main points and local news. I suppose there is more details about Finance and Business news on the Times site? I never thought about looking there for news. Maybe there is less advertising on these sites, I've often wondered how these sites keep going.
I have never thought to ask anyone but I have always assumed that the tv liceence also covers BBC online?

wee eddie 10:04 26 Mar 10

£50pa would make more sense.

Pay once a year and get on with it

WhiteTruckMan 10:29 26 Mar 10

As a license payer I feel I have already contributed to it. Let the beeb economise elsewhere first. (e.g. just how many staff did they send to the olympics this time?)

WTM

MAJ 11:43 26 Mar 10

I haven't bought a newspaper since 1980, the year I finished my engineering apprenticeship. I think it was force of habit that made me buy it along with my usual bottle of lucozade and mint Aero. The Lucozade has survived though.

Quickbeam 12:15 26 Mar 10

if they have in sight the change from buying a paper newspaper, to the kindle/ipad type of media reader and don't want to appear to be cashing in later when everyone has bought one of those devices expecting free newspapers for ever?

Quickbeam 12:22 26 Mar 10

You're quite right, we have paid for the BBC content, but if I was to pay for general news, that's the sort of content and quality I'd want, and that's abridged to some extent compared to the radio and TV reports.

I would however be prepared to pay for PCA magazine on line, when it's read I rarely/never go to back issues, I just bin 'em when a new one comes out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac