The time is well overdue ....

Jackcoms 07:38 01 Jan 07

to ban the public sale of fireworks.

I was awakened at 11:15 last night by their damned noise - which went on until well past 12:30 this morning.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one disturbed and it must have been particularly frightening for the very young, the elderly and the sick.

It must also have been annoying for those people who had to get up early this morning to go to work.

No doubt, also, many wild animals and domestic pets were less than impressed with all the banging and crashing.

I live in a multi-cultural area and fireworks are a more and more regular occurrence, particularly for every major (and minor) ethnic/religious festival which you may care to name (as well as some you probably couldn't).

The time has come to restrict the use of fireworks to officially organised events, well away from major areas of population.

octal 08:15 01 Jan 07

I didn't hear a thing I had a wonderful sleep.

I agree though, the fireworks start here from mid October till the end of February when the Chinese new year is, something has got to be don't because it's well OTT now.

Spark6 11:09 01 Jan 07

I echo your thoughts Jackcoms. Fireworks were going off until after midnight here in North Somerset and if they were set off by 'adults?' it's no wonder we have problems with some juveniles and their loutish behaviour.

Limiting the sale of fireworks would be a sensible start.

hijo 11:23 01 Jan 07

"Jackcoms"
Hi mate happy new year,Yeah i do share your fustration,as where i live is very populated & just last week @ 5:20am (or around there) there was some idiots letting airbombs off there the very loud firework that just BANG's it woke me up & i ended coming downstairs & booting my pc up hense my post's then gggrr,its not good enough people still have children in bed & people still have to work,i think the age should either be lifted to 21 NOT 18..!!! or there banned outright to the public apart from stuff like sparklers/catherine wheels ect basicly stuff that dont have any noise,this is a subject that i am sure has been raised many times b4 not just on this forum but in the public eye,it is about time we had something done about it,on the other hand pushing aside "Youths/yobs" there is & always will be a need for children that cant get to fireworks displays on Nov 5th,so like i said whitin reason some should still be ok to sell just not ones that can be abused, please DONT missundertand me i too was also young & daft & did various things with fireworks BUT that didnt include letting them off @ silly times nor did i throw them @ people..i kept it safe...
H

MichelleC 11:33 01 Jan 07

Input Overload 11:41 01 Jan 07

It was the new year, live & let live.

Jackcoms 13:18 01 Jan 07

"live & let live."

Which is the whole point of my post.

The idiots letting off the fireworks where NOT bothered about the majority of people who didn't want to listen to their racket and would prefer to LIVE in peace and quiet - irrespective of the time of year.

bremner 13:49 01 Jan 07

I have absoultely no objection to organised firework displays on November 5, New Years Eve, and some days that mark significant religious events.

However the sale of fireworks to the general public should have been banned years ago - it is simply a means of anti social behaviour to many yobs.

spikeychris 15:59 01 Jan 07

I can see nothing wrong with fireworks at midnight New Year.

Chegs ®™ 16:02 01 Jan 07

There is a post asking if anyone was at the london fireworks,which ceased at about 12:15am.I have no objection to organised displays,just the incessant WW's that start in october and continue unabated until late january.Fortunately,our local police have discovered that its illegal to set them off within 50yrds of a highway so anyone who is causing a nuisance is arrested and cautioned.This year is the 1st time in 5yrs that our dog has been able to venture into the garden to clean herself without scurrying terrified back in as some pillock decides that despite it being after 1am they can launch a stream of exploding rockets skywards from their garden.I dont know if this is a law or byelaw,but whichever I'm extremely grateful that at long last there is a cure to these infernal bangs and crashes as 1 phonecall results in a police car arriving and the householder being warned that any further fireworks going off will result in them being fined.

VCR97 20:12 01 Jan 07

"Unguided missiles" would be a better description
of some of these things.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5