Time and relativity?

Forum Editor 19:30 02 Aug 07

"Children are incredibly awake to the world around us, so time passes slowly for them"

Maybe we could slow down time as well, and lengthen our lives.

click here

anskyber 19:35 02 Aug 07

Yes. Interesting, I'm sure we have all experienced the phenomenon when on holiday and if surrounded by new experiences things seem to slow up.

Some parallel work has helped to explain why elderly folk think time is speeding up. The "answer" is a mixture of a slower ability to perform ordinary tasks (it takes more time therefore less is done and time seems shorter), like getting ready in the morning, and general familiarity with our surroundings, each day similar to the last.

anskyber 19:37 02 Aug 07

These programmes are the ones I had in mind. click here

Forum Editor 19:41 02 Aug 07

when you're absorbed in something, and then slow to a crawl when you're waiting for your flight to board. That's because when you're waiting for the flight you have nothing in which to become absorbed - you're aware of time passing slowly.

dukeboxhero 19:50 02 Aug 07

it's no secret that with advancing years comes the sense that time is accelerating.
i find that i live for my weekend,i make plans to go fishing or go visit my brother in blackpool
then when the weekend comes i havnt done any of these things, im back at work thinking where did my weekend go? i also find it strange how 1 week abroad now does me for a holiday and two weeks seems to be to long, i dont know if thats because my kids are grown up now and dont go with us anymore

anskyber 19:55 02 Aug 07

Hmm, or is that simply boredom? people involved in road accidents often report a sense of time slowing up, "everything seemed like it was in slow motion"

Rather as the article hints time seems to expand when new information and brain analysis of new things is required. Like you I have seen days fly by when active on a problem. But isn't that problem solving with already acquired knowledge as opposed to new experiences which require "cataloguing" and appraising? I don't know.

I have recently ordered a new book in the Rough Guide series ( not intended to be a plug) which is a rough guide to the brain which I hope will be interesting. Basically I'm hoping to find mine(!)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:20 02 Aug 07

I like the idea that the brain can be trained to slow down time.

I'll have to look at teaching that in my next Time Management course.

If only I could practic what I preach and manage my own time better.

:0)

HCOOH 20:34 02 Aug 07

I suppose a frontal lobotomy would give the impression of slowing down time without the boredom.

Woolwell 21:13 02 Aug 07

It was explained to me by a mathematician. If I remember correctly. When you are young a day or even an hour is a large fraction of the time that you have been aware of and therefore seems long when compared to your experience. As you get older so a day or an hour becomes quite a small fraction of your life and therefore it can seem to be quite short.

sunny staines 21:45 02 Aug 07

your in a car that is going to crash, you cannot do anything about. time really slows down then.
but the moment of impact speeds up.

4gig 22:04 02 Aug 07

I think all that we are talking about here is the mindset of the traveller.

Time came pass very quickly whenever you are relaxing but time seems to expand when simple things and tasks take longer to accomplish. This may be due to language and/or cultural differences or confusion.Even tiredness or rapid excitement.

The same is felt by a child because they are in a constant state of travel mindset.
And sometimes for them,they're just simply clueless.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…