tiffin carriers

ronalddonald 23:18 10 Sep 10

were tiffin carriers used in British hospitals years ago to keep food warm.

ronalddonald 23:20 10 Sep 10

here a link nothing to do with hospitals but for some reason I think they were used here in the UK in the hospitals.

click here

wolfie3000 03:43 11 Sep 10

When ever i hear of the word Tiffin im reminded of the carry on film Carry on up the Khyber.

Tiffin had a very different meaning in that film :P

BT 08:30 11 Sep 10

Hardly likely as a typical Tiffin Carrier is fairly small and holds a single persons meal
click here

The containers used in Hospitals/schools were/are much larger insulated containers designed to hold bulk amounts.

morddwyd 19:44 11 Sep 10

Don't know about NHS hospitals, but they were certainly used in military hospitals.

I taken them round on a number of occasions when I was an "up" patient.

(It was normal practice for recovering, or "up", patients to be responsible for meal distribution, cleaning, tea and toast making etc.)

Bingalau 21:49 11 Sep 10

And in Royal Naval Hospitals us "Up" patients also had to bollock the floor.

Grey Goo 23:25 11 Sep 10

According to the ditty,"Oh you'll never be a sailor if your b*lls hang low" I am guessing the word bollock in this context means something else.

Macscouse 23:53 11 Sep 10

If you've never had to do it, you'll never understand the phrase. ;o}}

morddwyd 07:25 12 Sep 10

With our more refined turn of phrase in the Royal Air Force, that's what I meant by "cleaning"!

Bingalau 10:09 12 Sep 10

The phrase was used for what normal people would know as polishing the floor. We had a huge lump of what I assume was heavy wood and metal, covered in felt or cloth of some kind, on the end of a long pole. We chucked a few dollops of floor polish on the deck and then a couple of us would rub/push this heavy "Bollocker" over the floor to ingrain the polish in to the decking. I don't remember there being any covering on the floor such as lino.

We looked forward to reaching that stage of recuperation as we knew we would soon be getting discharged.

Oh yes! By the way, we also scrubbed the floor first and cleaned the windows and dusted all the bed frames etc. I can't remember what the nurses did. But it wasn't cleaning jobs.

Bingalau 10:10 12 Sep 10

Oh yes "Tiffin" was a mealtime in my day.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…