Three and a Half inch Floppy

woodchip 19:17 PM 21 Feb 13

Just got me thinking, How many still have one of the above? and do you still use it?

Another one for you, Programmers seem to have lost the ability to create small fast programs. It must be that they have become lazy because most have big fast cpu's and hard drives

WhiteTruckMan 19:28 PM 21 Feb 13

I've just checked, and I still have a box containg 6 olivetti 8inch floppy disks, if anyone wants to make me an offer.

john bunyan 19:29 PM 21 Feb 13

I have a 3 1/2" floppy drive built in a a desktop and many old discs. At work, 20 or more years ago in the days of 1.5 gig HD's they were a main method of storage. The trouble is the data on them is in Lotus 123 format so I cant now read them! Have not used one for a few years now. I had a Dutch PC that had A (3 1/2") and a B (5 1/2") drives , but it has sadly departed. I wonder how many know what the B drive was for?

Aitchbee 19:39 PM 21 Feb 13

Still got hundreds of Amiga floppies and several floppy disk drives ... I love the sounds that the diskcopy programs make ... ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk, ker-chunk ...

Mr Mistoffelees 20:12 PM 21 Feb 13

Three and a Half inch what?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:33 PM 21 Feb 13

Still got a floppy drive and floppy disks

Still use DOS programs on a floppy to communicate with a signalling system for French locomotives (KVB).

Al94 21:57 PM 21 Feb 13

What I fail to understand is that although technology has moved on so much, the "save" icon is still a floppy disc - none of todays kids will know what one is!

WhiteTruckMan 22:50 PM 21 Feb 13

But kids still know what it means to 'rewind', even if they are at a loss to explain the origin of the word!

Quickbeam 00:18 AM 22 Feb 13

I think I can recall them, I think, what did you say they were they for?

wiz-king 05:37 AM 22 Feb 13

Yes and a five and a quarter inch as well as an Iomega or two.

carver 08:28 AM 22 Feb 13

still have fond memories of using those things and that lovely error message that meant you had lost your work.

Still have a box of 8 that I had stored photos on and now half of them have developed error message so are unreadable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016