Those that have get more!

TOPCAT® 21:06 21 Apr 06

I don't believe it! (apologies to Mr Meldrew) The second richest football club in the world accepts £30,000 Lotto money to help increase the health and fitness of its staff. Admittedly, the club will match this figure, but I can't help thinking the money could have gone to a really deserving cause. What say you? TC.

click here

octal 21:36 21 Apr 06

That's why I don't do the Lottery.

beeuuem 21:38 21 Apr 06

Personally I liked the bit where a spokesman said the money would help them pay for a Health and Safety 'person'. If some of the staff decide as a group to go for a walk outside the ground, as part of the programme, they must be accompanied by the H&S person to ensure that all risks identified and avoided.

hzhzhz 21:47 21 Apr 06

Absolutely appalling. So many good causes would welcome just a fraction of that amount. What is the country coming to?. I'm disgusted.

DieSse 22:47 21 Apr 06

It just shows that those who serve on the panel who decide such things have no commonsense - and worse, no appreciation of how the general public see what is fair and what isn't. As happens so much in so many similar situations.

IMHO

SG Atlantis® 22:48 21 Apr 06

I could think of a dozen uses for that money in my area including sports and fitness our leisure local centre could do with a boost like that, even one third!

What's worse though? The lottery paying it or them having the cheek to ask for it and accept it?

They do not deserve that money, it won't benefit the public in any way. If they were that concerned and hard up for the cash they could force the players to take a .5% pay cut that would fund it several times over!

Shocking - a classic display of misappropriation of money meant for good causes. It's disgusting.

jakimo 23:02 21 Apr 06

Almost unbelievable,especially when small charities are frequently turned down when asking for financial help that would benefit local communities

GANDALF <|:-)> 07:39 22 Apr 06

I find it incredible that a club that pays it's players £60k+/week + bonuses can have the bare-faced cheek to accept this. Why not ask their 'hard-working' players to contribute instead ( I realise that playing 2 games a week and having to contribute is classed as doing two things at once and may be difficult for the players in such a demanding sport)?

...and while we are on this, the same gormless players/clubs could also dip into their own pockets to finance the current Joke of the Century, aka Wembley.

G

€dstowe 09:14 22 Apr 06

Don't forget, almost as bad, is a firm of lawyers (Halliwells) been given something like the same amount for similar purposes.

Lawyers are second only to footballers for grabbing the maximum amount of money from the gullible so the ethics here are exactly the same.

A pox on the lot of them.

Sibbo 09:25 22 Apr 06

Disgusting!! A whip round amongst the players could have raised this cash, or Rooney could have "sat out" from a hand of cards!!

thospot 11:45 22 Apr 06

I note with interest the remark from GANDALF about players playing two games a week. I think they think they are hard done to when that happens.

Over 50 years ago I was running an amateur club and was also the secretary and captain and general dogs body.

Park keepers in those days did not like you to play on a pitch if it was too wet because they had to repair the ground afterwards.

One season after a hard winter we (and everyone else) was so far behind with our fixtures we had to make it up by playing as often as we could and that meant playing 'night matches'.

The last week of that season we played every night Mon to Fri and two matches (one after the other) on Saturday. We lost every one of them but thats not the point.... We were all working men which meant we had to come home from work and get straight down to the ground.... Not only that but being the general dogs body I was responsible for the kit... I had to get home from work collect the 'washing' from my wife put the three balls in the net along with the bit of first aid kit we had pile it all on my bike and then bike the 6 miles down to the ground hoping the referee would turn up.

I wonder what the Beckams of today would do in those circumstances.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…