The things you see in a working day

Forum Editor 07:48 03 Feb 15

I was driving along Kingsway yesterday, when suddenly I saw this remarkable sight in the other carriageway. Luckily, nobody was seriously hurt - a few people had very minor injuries - but I think it could easily have been a very different story.

morddwyd 07:55 03 Feb 15

I saw that on the news.

A railway bridge is one thing, but how on earth was a tree allowed to overhang so low on a major route?

Quickbeam 10:20 03 Feb 15

"just past the sign warning of limited (2.5M) headroom in the nearside lane."

Driver error primary cause, with possibly the routing manager if he routed a double decker on this road.

wee eddie 11:49 03 Feb 15

As a Taxi Driver, late night, the range of human behaviour I see is phenomenal.

Beryl Cook is an Artist who lovingly creates pictures of middle aged ladies at play. It's the Teens and Twenties, who achieve these proportions, that amaze me. I am loath to post pictures in case I infringe their human rights by posting their fallibilities on-line, but a pair of young ladies in white Lycra, partially see through because of the stretching, cycling shorts and crop tops were absolutely arresting!

Quickbeam 11:54 03 Feb 15

Were they rendered topless too by passing branches?

QuizMan 22:28 03 Feb 15

I saw this on TV yesterday evening. As this is a bus route I wonder how come only one bus had this type of accident when many must pass by the same tree daily.

Quickbeam 09:24 04 Feb 15

QuizMan

There are lots of bus routes that are height restricted to single deckers, especially in cities with rail routes that were built in the Victorian era. This tree height might well be known about and allowed if the route has other height restrictions that dictate vehicle heights. I think the bus company managers will also have to explain why this bus was on this route.

A quick Google shows that there are still dozens of fairly recent bus bridge strike in the last decade.

iscanut 12:23 04 Feb 15

wee eddie ???????

wee eddie 12:59 04 Feb 15

iscanut2: These are things I, as a late night Taxi Driver, see during my Working night/day. And that is the Title of the Thread.

bumpkin 14:23 04 Feb 15

A building in London that my son was working on was hit by a helicopter, I doubt if he was expecting that. National news a while back.

Forum Editor 16:14 04 Feb 15

Double deck buses run on this route all day, everyday, so I don't think the tree can be blamed for causing the accident. My guess.and it is only a guess (based partly on what has been reported) is that the trunk of the tree was involved, which could mean that the bus was not where it should have been on the roadway - there is an 'overhanging trees' warning notice clearly visible behind the impact location, and bus drivers obviously know about it.

Perhaps the driver involved was new on the route and forgot about it, or perhaps there was something that caused a sudden swerve into the danger zone - there could be any one of a number of reasons.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017