The things people do for their employer!

Diemmess 16:18 15 Oct 04

Seeing a thread currently running about possible recall (in USA) of Dell powerleads, I was talking to a friend who at one time was a safety engineer with Rank Xerox at Mitcheldean.

Finding a significant number of faulty power leads to their photocopiers Rank were faced with a possible service visit to some 10M customers world wide. The American system where it is posible to plug in either way round meant that a tiny risk of a short which didn't reach a badly made crimp connection to earth, faced them with a colossal bill.

Mike told me that he did some research and came up with a controlled experiment (safety team standing by) where he connected live and earth to two small plates.

At "Go", he slapped his hand down on both plates at once. Then the expected (and required by safety legislation) RCCB trip cut the current in so many nanoseconds!

Though he felt the shock it was a very small one, and the upshot was that his firm were saved millions by deciding to defer any replacements to be priority at the next service visit.

Mozarella 18:47 15 Oct 04

And of course Mac was suitably paid for this.
Wasn`t he? oh dear!!

sattman 18:57 15 Oct 04

Not the sort of professional solution that I would advocate.

VoG II 21:21 15 Oct 04

I don't think it will catch on.

Easterner 16:32 16 Oct 04

I thought that the chap on Top Gear who sat in a car in Germany while they zapped a massive amount of electricity through it to demonstrate the result of a lightning strike was acting way beyond the call of duty but your friend? Wow!

Diemmess 16:58 16 Oct 04

It was quite a long time ago when Health & Safety at Work was only a political dream.

Mike has been a keen radio ham for yonks and is not unaware of the risks and how to minimse them. He only slapped his hand across the electrodes and proved that this brief contact was enough to trip the circuit.

Mozarella ........ No he was not officially rewarded though at the time everyone was keen to work for Ranks as part of a team.

Long before this, he survived a near fatal accident at home due to criminally negligent wiring of a consumer distribution board, by a qualified electrician, but that's another story.

Easterner 17:04 16 Oct 04

Sorry - wasn't attempting to critisise him or suggest that he didn't know what he was doing, merely admiring his courage.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…