There's no such thing as a free lunch.............

Forum Editor 11:55 31 Oct 04

or is there?

Some of you will already be aware of my liking for that nifty little Outlook search add-in called LookOut. It's an excellent example of technology doing what technology should - making life a whole lot easier.

Now there's another little beauty to add to my all-time 'best software on the planet' list. I'm often searching for documents, either on my hard drive or on the web, and for years I've used the wonderful Copernic search software. Copernic are fairly low-profile, but they know how to do one thing really well, and that's design search and indexing software. The company's real gem hasn't seen much publicity however, and it's simply stunning.

Snappily entitled 'Copernic Desktop search' it will find any document, image, video or sound file on your hard drive from a keyword and display a list in one of the best interfaces I've seen - one click shows you a preview of the file in an Outlook-style reading pane. Put simply it's the best I've ever seen, and it's made even better by being absolutely free.

I insist that anyone who searches for documents on any kind of a regular basis downloads it at once from:-

click here

wallbash 12:27 31 Oct 04

quote --- 'I insist that..'

I Always do as I'm told !!!!

But it is good

Forum Editor 13:52 31 Oct 04

In about a year to eighteen months' time I think there may be the mother and father of search-engine battles. Watch for new things from MSN - serious development is going on if I'm any judge.

ton 16:53 31 Oct 04

Thanks for the link FE, it does seem to work very well.

bremner 17:29 31 Oct 04

Does this do the same as the Google Desktop? click here

lixdexik 17:59 31 Oct 04

'Copernic Desktop search' runs on win98, well it does for me.
Very fast too. A neat wee prog. doesn't miss a trick.

A handy wee tool. well worth a look.

Lixdexik.

Forum Editor 18:31 31 Oct 04

does run on Win2000 as well, but only with SP3 installed.

Of the two I prefer Copernic, but I appreciate that it's a personal thing - I'm a very big Copernic fan. The company does one thing only, and it does it very well.

Sapins 18:36 31 Oct 04

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

There was when I was at school:-)

It's Me 20:50 31 Oct 04

And I remember free milk too, third pint bottles with card board tops with a knock in circle for the straw. And free orange juice.

Mr Mistoffelees 21:19 31 Oct 04

The milk had proper aluminium tops when I was at primary school!

stalion 21:31 31 Oct 04

search me

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…