There's Hope After All

Bapou 11:02 02 Dec 10

I've followed all these threads on all the gloom and doom of the current weather conditions. Then there's the BBC News with reporters from all the remote areas they could manage to reach. Newspapers with page after page of commuters in trouble, all so depressing.

Then I saw it, tucked away in one snow report by the Mail as though it was a throw away item. Yet, it has the potential of saying,"there's hope after all in all this chaos."

My heart leapt when reading, "there is a strong possibility of there being a shortage of brussel sprouts this year due to farmers being unable to harvest in the weather."

Mother Nature has at last heard me, I hate the damned things. Virtually force fed them by my mother then missus mashes them up and pretends it's spring cabbage. This year at least I may be spared.

Hallelujah!

Quickbeam 11:05 02 Dec 10

And nature makes sure that you are heard when you eat them!

interzone55 11:58 02 Dec 10

What is all the fuss about sprouts?

If you don't like them don't eat them.

Anyway, as any former dawn patrollers will know, it's too late to buy them now anyway. If they're not in the pan and boiling away by the end of April they're all but inedible by Christmas lunch time...

peter99co 14:07 02 Dec 10

Many people refuse sprouts because in years past they where bitter tasting. Farmers have developed sweet tasting sprouts now because the supermarkets will not buy bitter sprouts.

If this was what put you off then try again. They can even be grated into coleslaw now. My 9 year old grandaughter loves them.

morddwyd 20:16 02 Dec 10

No sprouts?

Another massive blow on top of the recession and the weather?

I might just top meself!

However a good cue for my annual reminder that if you buy sprouts "on the stalk" cut the end and leave them stood in cold water outside the door.

They'll keep for weeks and you can pick them, still with the frost and snow on (and that's how they should go into the saucepan) in your pyjamas and barefoot!

ella33 18:59 03 Dec 10

They are said to be higher in Vit C than oranges.
It is hard to prove though. They do taste good with boiled chestnuts. Unfortunately the chestnuts are expensive these days.

Well it is sad to know that any food has gone to waste and that some growers will lose revenue. There must be a way of harvesting them. I was told they taste better after a frost, as Morddwyd says

ams4127 22:54 03 Dec 10

I allow myself one sprout per year.

At Christmas.

That's enough.

rdave13 22:58 03 Dec 10

' I allow myself one sprout per year. '
Too much for me.
Ugh...

OTT_B 23:08 03 Dec 10

Never knew about the new 'sweet' sprouts. That may explain my warming to them since my childhood. Still, no sprouts on the day this year. It's Christmas, OTT_B style this year!

Forum Editor 23:09 03 Dec 10

until they are tender, but still retain a bit of crunch.

Eat them with a little sea-salt and butter, or sprinkle some Soy sauce on them.

One of the best vegetables at this time of year, and a valuable source of minerals and vitamins, including folic acid. Folic acid deficiency is the most common vitamin deficiency in the world.

There's increasing evidence to show that the humble Brussels sprout is a powerful cancer prevention food.

wolfie3000 23:10 03 Dec 10

I love sprouts, sprout buttys are the best.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced