Is there a way to tell Microsoft?

wee eddie 19:11 PM 14 Aug 12

that I think that the whole concept of Libraries is a waste of Disk Space and that I'd like them to provide a Fix to disable that whole function.

I am equally antagonistic to Photo Manipulation Programs that wish to re-file your pictures and start to do this as soon as they are loaded.

OK, I know that these are just a Folder full of short-cuts, but why?

Are we so stupid that we cannot organise a Filing System without their assistance?

Rant over.

john bunyan 19:16 PM 14 Aug 12

wee eddie

See here: Turn off libraries

Mr Mistoffelees 19:58 PM 14 Aug 12

"Are we so stupid that we cannot organise a Filing System without their assistance?"

Unfortunately there are a lot of people who are. They are the people libraries are designed for.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:00 PM 14 Aug 12

"Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do." Bertrand Russell.

interzone55 20:07 PM 14 Aug 12

The Libraries are only shortcuts to files, not copies of the whole file...

wee eddie 21:09 PM 14 Aug 12

Thanks John Bunyan: I have been down that route and have no particular desire to be, personally, manipulating my Registry.

Which is why I was asking if Microsoft could provide the Fix themselves.

Alan14: I can't see why I should want a Folder with 10,000 short-cuts in it. See Line 5 in my original posting, but thanks anyway.

Forum Editor 00:16 AM 15 Aug 12

"OK, I know that these are just a Folder full of short-cuts, but why?"

Because lots of people find it very helpful. The idea of libraries was consumer driven - the result of feedback from the Windows user-base. Lots of people store the same file types at different drive locations or on different drives, and that's when the library system can be very helpful.

As john bunyan has pointed out,it's a pretty simple procedure to turn libraries off with a small registry tweak if you don't like the idea.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This installation lets you control a laser and sound show using your mind

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites