There are NO Accidents; you ALWAYS Have Choice

Z1100 12:22 20 Dec 06

Is that true?

One thread already asks if it is fair to be sent a fixed penalty if you 'accidentally creep over the speed limit.'

How does that happen? Is it true then that there are never accidents and there is always someone to blame?

What about,you always have a choice despite protestations that there is No Choice. Another thread suggests people do not work because they have no choice but to stay on benefits because they will 'lose money' or 'be worse off' with a job?

Can both these claims be true?

Hanx!
K.

Bingalau 12:30 20 Dec 06

I think that accidents are "caused" in other words there is no such thing as an accident. I can't explain why? But I have a feeling in my bones that there is a reason for all of these so called "accidents". ..Bingalau..

MichelleC 12:41 20 Dec 06

There's no such thing as 'accidents':

Coming home I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I didn't have.

The other car collided with mine without giving warning of its intention.

I thought my window was down, but I found out it was up when I put my head through it.

I collided with a staionary truck coming the other way.

A pedestrian hit me and went under my car.

The guy was all over the road. I had to swerve a number of times before I hit him.

I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment.

I had been driving for forty years when I fell asleep at the wheel and had an accident.

Diemmess 13:10 20 Dec 06

We make choices all the time. Most are automatic, in that we don't even think about most of the choices we make.

That said, accidents are always the result of a choice. Even the 'classic tree falls on a car during a gale'.... the car was there by someone's choice!

Safety legislation is constantly aimed at prevention, and Air Acccidents Investigation Branch of CAA states its aim "............It is not to apportion blame or liability."

Sadly road accidents are essentially the result of poor choice.

hijo 14:13 20 Dec 06

in 1998 i was driving my GSXR 750 when a car jumped the lights i was just cruising through them @ the legal limit (Honestly) & i ended up getting thrown over this guys roof & my bikes USD forks snapped the bike was in bits as he was coming from the right going to my left & i was going straight on @ a crossroads,apparently he admitted fault & said he rushed to get home to watch a program on the telly...!!!!..i woke up in hospital with short term memory loss but i wasnt damaged any more luckly....but the bike was a right state....he also smashed into two other cars that was behind me turning to my left on a filter lane..he went through a red light
H

rezeeg 14:59 20 Dec 06

According to Wikipedia click here 'an accident is an unfortunate event which occurs unexpectedly and unintentionally. Physical examples include an unintended collision or a person or object unintentionally falling, getting injured by touching something sharp, hot, or electric, or ingesting poison. Non-physical examples are unintentionally revealing a secret or otherwise saying something incorrectly, forgetting an appointment, etc.

Technically, "accidents" do not include incidents where someone is at fault (e.g. negligent); for example, if someone fails to take reasonable precautions in the circumstances. If the results of such negligence were foreseeable, they were not accidental, and the negligent person can be held responsible for any consequences of such negligence. In an "accident", nobody can really be held liable because the event was unforeseeable or very unlikely (for example, if one's computer is knocked over by a friend unintentionally, it was an accident; however, one could blame the friend for being careless).

A common misconception is that a gun can "go off" accidentally, where in truth, such gun accidents are extremely rare, and most gun injuries are caused by intentional acts that create the hazard of injury (i.e., pulling the trigger of a loaded gun). A defective gun that fires when dropped could qualify as being "accidental", however, one would still have to examine the cause for the gun being intentionally loaded and being handled carelessly.'

Bingalau 16:39 20 Dec 06

hijo. In your case it is obvious it was not an accident it was caused by the other driver's negligence. In fact not negligence, more like "stupidity". Most so called "accidents" are also caused by stupidity by someone. Probably all of them. If you hit your thumb with a hammer it's stupidity and nothing else. If you stick your feet in a scalding hot bath it's stupidity etc. If a child is scalded by stepping into a hot bath it may not be the child's fault but someone is lacking in their responsibility toward that child and is therefore acting stupidly. ..Bingalau..

Diemmess 17:25 20 Dec 06

Bingalau
Back to your question. I agree we always have choice, continually and conciously while we a awake.

But without choice we would all be zombies and grunch our way through life with no sense of occasion, good or bad.

Stupidity, negligence, or even (distraction at a kinder level) all show after a wrong choice.

hijo was clearly not to blame, but two choices influenced the occasion.
1) He chose to ride a motorbike knowing that the overall risk is higher.
2) Defensive driving. He didn't assume that the other driver would be so inept and potentially deadly.

Chris the Ancient 17:33 20 Dec 06

...more and more police forces now refer to an incident involving a road user as a crash.

So, in hijo's case, he was involved in a crash and there was no 'accident' on his part. He was the recipient of another driver's 'incident' in which that other driver was completely to blame.

I think the police want to use the term 'crash' more now as it has - pardon the pun - impact.

I also believe that what the police called an 'RTA' (road traffic accident) is now referred to as an 'RTI' (road traffic incident'.

Somewhere in my (very) deep memory from long ago, I seem to recollect that the German traffic law stated that if there was a crash, at least one person must be guilty of breaking a road rule to cause it and they were appropriately dealt with.

octal 17:34 20 Dec 06

They shouldn't be called accidents, but incidents.

Z1100 17:56 20 Dec 06

I prefer the Ameicanism, A Wreck!

That sounds BIG!

Hanx!
K.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…