Is there an appeal for the Aussies?

Bingalau 15:14 12 Jan 11

No this is not about cricket, A lot of us have relatives in Australia, but though none of mine are anywhere near the weather problems they are having. I've never seen nor heard any mention of an appeal to help them. Why not? If it is India or Pakistan or South America etc., we are inundated with appeals on the TV and the media. But if it is our own kith and kin they are ignored. maybe I am mistaken but I have not heard of our government offering aid of any sort.

This is part of a mail I have just received from a ninety year old friend in Perth, Western Australia

"It's hard to realise that the area of the floods is equal to the area of Europe. The appeal fund is doing very well and there has
been a really big response to the appeal It seems that the Northern parts of Oz are suffering, as there are floods too in the North of WA. As for the silly season, some idiot has lit a fire South of Perth and it has spread and destroyed nine houses up to now. It seems whenever we get a dry season, it brings out all the arsonists. They caught one a couple of years ago, and it turned out he was a part time fireman! He got two years and he should have got ten. If they catch the guy who has lit the latest one he WILL get ten. These victims, like the guys who are flooded out, have lost everything and I can't get over the guts of some of them who appear to be very philosophical about it and say,"Oh well, we'll just have to start again."

dagbladet 15:22 12 Jan 11

I'm not sure they are being ignored. I've no real idea how these appeals are initiated but sort of assumed that those in need ask for assistance and it follows from there. have they asked?

As far as practical help goes, there is obviously a huge geographical distance between us and OZ and i'm not sure what we can actually do.

Bingalau 15:40 12 Jan 11

Yes, we used to have RN ships in the area, but of course now we are lucky to have any in our own area.

There are about four or five charity shops in our local village/town including an Oxfam one. Usually within a day of a disaster somewhere in the world there is an eye catching appeal in the windows. But for this "Zilch".

dagbladet 15:50 12 Jan 11

An appeal for what exactly? I'm not sure what exactly we've got that's of any use to them at this time.

uk-wizard 16:09 12 Jan 11

Yes, click here

Clapton is God 16:46 12 Jan 11

"An appeal for what exactly?"

Perhaps we can send them some more of our convicts to help re-build the place?

It'll be just like the old days for them.

dagbladet 17:10 12 Jan 11

Don't get me wrong. It's a disaster on a scale that is hard to comprehend, hence I'm not sure what a poster in Oxfam's window is going to achieve. Not trying to be flippant.

Forum Editor 17:25 12 Jan 11

for interstate aid funding in cases like this, and I have no doubt that it will be applied in this case.

I was in Brisbane last year, and I assure you that the peoples' philosophical attitude applies in all kinds of ways - they are used to living in a place where you just get on with it, regardless of what the country throws at you.

Queensland has experienced floods like this before - in 1974 the water level was higher than the expected maximum on this occasion. Brisbane will get back on its feet with help from the whole of Australia, and various people will pitch in - Roger Federer has organised a charity tennis match, and they were passing buckets around the Adelaide cricket ground during the England v Australia 20/20.

I would be amazed if David Cameron hadn't already called Julia Gillard and offered help, and I would be equally amazed if she hadn't replies 'Many thanks, I think we'll be fine, but I'll let you know'.

Australia can handle this.

rawprawn 17:30 12 Jan 11

No worries mate, the Dinkum Oz will fix it.
She'll be right mate. We used to get flooded every year, and Bush fires in summer.
It's an Australian inconvenience. I still thank Bingalau for his thoughts.

al's left peg 18:05 12 Jan 11

The Aussies will just get on with it, they won't ask for help sorting out this problem. The Kiwi's were the same after their recent earthquake, they just get on with life and deal with it. I myself admire them for that.

namtas 19:04 12 Jan 11

The Lions Organisation has sent $200.000US as a first stage of a emergency grant to help with essential needs for families They are waiting to be informed what other help is needed, it will be vast. I should imagine that many families will have lost everything and for many for whatever reason may not have insurance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009