Theological food for thought!

Jak_1 18:05 21 Dec 06

It is that time of year, Christmas, celebration of the birth of Christ. But, as you may see from the link, there are glaring discrepancies between the different Gospels. Each one of us will have their own view according to their faith, or lack of, on how to view these discrepancies. Each to their own, it is not my place to influence a persons belief. The links does however give food for thought given that the first of the 4 gopspels was written approximately in the 70th decade AD and the 4th in the 1st or second decade of the second century AD ie the 110 /120th decades approximately.
This thread is not designed to be a theological argument but purely an example of how different authors see things through their eyes. Your views would most welcome.

click here

Watchful 18:11 21 Dec 06

I ate my fill of all those points many years ago and I'm still digesting it :0)

Kate B 18:19 21 Dec 06

Remember that the bible is largely the product of post-hoc spin-doctoring and that a lot of inconvenient stuff was left out. Taking the gospel as, er, gospel is an article of faith - those of us without religious faith regard it as reportage, and probably not very accurate reportage at that.

Jak_1 18:36 21 Dec 06

If I am also correct, there were Gospels ommited from the recognised bible. From what I can research they were ommited by order of the Vatican! I wonder what version those contain?
I question no ones faith as their faith is important to them. I suppose it is all down to a question of belief and faith in that belief.
What I find interesting is that Christmas is celebrated on the same dates o the pagan celebation of Frigga, except that before the changes to the calendar actually puts the date at the winter solctice, convenient of the church!
However, I feel that the bible was never meant top be taken literally but as guide book that is somewhat chronologically inacurate and mistranslated. But each have their own beliefs on that according to what they were brought up with or chosose to believe.

Jak_1 18:38 21 Dec 06

Hm! My keyboard can't spell corectly today!

Arthur Scrimshaw 18:55 21 Dec 06

last night? - about the very selective process chosen by the Church over which Gospels made it into the New Testament. The fragment of the Gospel of Mary Magdalene found in an Egyptian excavation, and supported by other texts, indicates that Women played a much bigger role in the early church and Mary Magdalene was as least as important as Peter, so much so that many scholars are of the opinion that the first 'Pope' should of been Mary, not Peter.

Mr Mistoffelees 18:55 21 Dec 06

Much of the Christian bible is very post-hoc having been written a thousand or more years after the events recounted.

Jak_1 19:05 21 Dec 06

Arthur Scrimshaw

I didn't see the program but I have read of that account.
I have to say that I am not a religeous person but find the intrigue facinating on how very differing versions appeared and the part that the Vatican had in selecting what was to be included and what was to remain hidden from view. I suppose if I was born a century or two earlier then I would have neen charged as a heretic, lol.

Mr Mistoffelees 19:09 21 Dec 06

If I espoused my atheist views two hundred years ago I'm sure I would not have lasted long :-(

rezeeg 19:20 21 Dec 06

The Dead Sea Scrolls is on BBC 4 currently.

Forum Editor 20:39 21 Dec 06

it's worth bearing in mind the fact that the events it records happened at a time when very few people could read or write. Stories about things that happened were mainly passed from person to person verbally, and we all know what happens when information is transmitted that way.

There's that lovely little story of a first world war army officer sending a verbal message to headquarters verbally, via relay messengers:-

"Going over the top, please send reinforcements"

The message that the final courier in the chain delivered to the general at HQ was:

"Going to the shops, please send three and fourpence"

Much the same thing must have happened as some of the bible stories were passed on, not only from person to person, but from generation to generation, before they were finally written down and compiled into anything resembling a narrative.

That the stories endured for so long is an indication of the impact they had on the people who were eye-witnesses to events as they happened, and even if (like me) you don't have a religious bone in your body you can't help pondering on the significance of some of the accounts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…