Thank you Wootton Bassett

octal 18:25 16 Mar 11

for supporting our troops, the royal title is well deserved.
click here

morddwyd 18:59 16 Mar 11

Well deserved

ams4127 22:24 16 Mar 11

I agree. I will be down that way in late April and, should the unthinkable happen, I aim to make a point of going there to pay my respects.

I wonder where the bodies will be brought when Lyneham closes.

Brumas 22:40 16 Mar 11

A rare honour richly deserved.

morddwyd 08:14 17 Mar 11

"should the unthinkable happen,"

Why should it be unthinkable?

Death in war happens, and will continue to happen, but it should never become something we should not think about.

Clapton is God 12:17 17 Mar 11

And a big thank you from me also to all the residents of Wootton Bassett and to the troops who've unfortunately had to be repatriated through that town.

Woolwell 16:04 17 Mar 11

"I wonder where the bodies will be brought when Lyneham closes." Probably Brize Norton.

flycatcher1 19:01 17 Mar 11

Woolwell
I think that the repatriation will be carried out at Carterton which is where RAF Brize Norton is.
There area few gates so I imagine the Powers will be deciding the optium routing.
I hope the Carterton will carry out the Respect Ceremony with the care, concern and efficiency that Royal Wootton Bassett has done in the past.
I am sure that they will - Carterton is a Garrison Town.

ams4127 22:21 17 Mar 11

You misunderstood my meaning morddwyd. What I meant was that it would be unthinkable that someone had died just because I was in the area and wanted to pay my respects.

Of course death happens in war. Don't forget I'm ex-service just like you.

Matt Egan 13:12 18 Mar 11

I think recognition for Wootton Bassett is overdue. An incredible, spontaneous gesture that reinforces that fact that any society that is prepared to have armed forces, should recognise that they are asking young men and women to risk their lives, and should respect and honour that service.

I just don't know what the 'Royal' prefix has to do with anything. In the modern world in which any semblence of mystique has been removed from what is - let's face it - a very ordinary family in terms of morals and talents, why should the fine people of Wootton Bassett be grateful to be somehow related to the work-shy descendents of illegitimate German robber barons? If Iived there I'd have to move...

They should call it 'Awesome Wootton Bassett'.

Forum Editor 16:30 18 Mar 11

that included a sentence expressing a hope that a past Prime Minister would be assassinated. As a consequence I also had to delete other posts which referred to it, and would have made little sense if left on-line.

My apologies to all concerned.

I'm inclined to agree with Matt Egan on this one. It occurs to me to wonder if the people of Wootton Bassett feel a sense of gratitude, or whether it might have been more fitting to have had some form of illuminated citation and a town memorial of some kind.

Being placed in the same bracket as Leamington Spa and Tunbridge Wells doesn't seem to me to signify "an enduring symbol of the nation's admiration and our gratitude to the people of that town".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced