Text message lingo

anchor 15:46 05 Apr 06

I have noticed the occasional posting that includes some abbreviated text messaging words. If, like me, you are unfamiliar with sort of English, this site may help with the translation.

click here

for the uninitiated, this is my message in text lingo:

I hav noticed d occasional postiN dat NcluDz som abreviated txt msgN wrds. f, lIk me, U R unfamiliar w sort of eng, DIS site mA hlp w d transl8n.

SG Atlantis® 15:56 05 Apr 06

10Q v much sir, dat iz a gr8 hlp. I cn undRstNd most of txt spk bt I fail 2 c Y it shud b Usd n 4mz & othR plAcz whr ther iz n letR limit unlike mobz dat hav 160 letR restrictions.

anchor 16:06 05 Apr 06

SG Atlantis®:

Unfortunately I cannot understand text speak, but with the aid of the link above I was able to translate your message.

SG Atlantis® 16:09 05 Apr 06

I used the translator to write that, I couldn't have otherwise. I can understand the most commonly used txt words but sometimes it gets really confusing.

Useful link anchor, thanks for it.

ade.h 17:32 05 Apr 06

I let it pass me right by, to be honest. Fine for the tight screen space and tricky typing of a mobile phone, but outside that environment, it's not really appropriate. Just lazy. And - whether actually the case or not - it makes the author look rather illiterate. Which is a pity, because they may in fact be perfectly capable of expressing themselves in conventional English, but we'll never know.

If a post uses a lot of text language, I have to quietly ignore it and move on, rather than site there deciphering every other word.

It has its uses - well, one just one specific use in fact - but as I have never sent a text message in my life, I have never felt a desire to abbreviate anything. If there's any code that I am going to put in the time and effort to learn, it'll be HTML and PHP thanks!

ade.h 17:33 05 Apr 06

"Site there"? "Sit there", I meant to say.

wolfie3000 17:42 05 Apr 06

ade.h

"Site there"? "Sit there",

You have demostrated a good point
as i too sometimes get words muddled as i type in the words alot an example would be

"Download" "Downtime"

As i write a column for a game website and use those terms often i sometimes mix one for the other.

Obviously you use the word webSITE alot lol.

But as for txt speak i dont see much of it but leet speak god help me im subjected to it most days on game servers.

wolfie3000 17:48 05 Apr 06

Try translating this leet speak lol,

J00 n00b!!11!1 1 Tr45h3d j00r 53r\/3R \/\/!TT [\/]y l337 [-]4xx0r3!!!1!!11 :-))

Talk about trash talk lol.

jack 17:51 05 Apr 06

I long ago asked my Telco to block text messages - I cant see them on the screen let alone decipher the lingo.
As here if I come across a post using it - I pass on by.

ade.h 18:29 05 Apr 06

You're right there! I have a couple of projects on the go, one of which is mine (a big pet project) and is taking up a lot my thinking time at the mo'.

Kev.Ifty 18:41 05 Apr 06

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…