Tesco sticking it's neck out

oresome 17:38 PM 13 Mar 13

I remember first using the supermarket cafes when they offered 99p breakfasts and free refills of coffee.

Tesco are now trying a different approach. They have bought an upmarket coffee chain called Giraffe and are to introduce the brand to many of their stores. Presumably they hope the image it creates will reflect well on the store itself.

Is now the time to be moving upmarket when Lidl and Aldi seem to be taking sales with a minimalist strategy?

Quickbeam 18:15 PM 13 Mar 13

Will they rename it cafe horse?

Aitchbee 18:30 PM 13 Mar 13

If Tesco installed a licensed bar [with big-screens] and an instore bookies [with free cups of coffee], t'would make shoppin' with them, a whole lot better [experience]. ;o)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:45 PM 13 Mar 13

Our local Tescos 3, all within 3 miles of where I live, closed their cafes and let Costa open in their place.

Bing.alau 19:06 PM 13 Mar 13

You can't beat a Giraffe burger with a nice cup of coffee.

Quickbeam 07:47 AM 14 Mar 13

Bing.alau noses ahead in the final furlong...

Chronos the 2nd 08:19 AM 14 Mar 13

Bing.alau

You've got some neck posting that.

BT 08:31 AM 14 Mar 13

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Same thing has happened at our Tesco's.

There old cafe used to be well patronised, with a basic menu at sensible prices. Its now a Costa franchise, and my sister was told when she attended a 'Customer Day' that they (Tesco) were making more money from it now than before. I can only assume that this is because the franchise holder pays a large 'Rent' and Tesco don't have the cost of staffing and running the operation, because on a number of occasions when I have been in the store at around lunchtime the Costa has only had a very few customers sitting down, whereas in the Tesco days it was usually pretty full.

The old Cafe was well patronised as it was a meeting place where you could get a reasonable meal at sensible prices. A lot of pensioners would meet there for lunch. Now all you can get is overpriced coffee and a very limited snack menu.

BT 08:36 AM 14 Mar 13

Reading the following it seems to me that they seem to be having second thoughts and going back to what their cafes were before they went with Costa.

Giraffe

spuds 10:46 AM 14 Mar 13

I wonder if and when the bubble will burst. Tesco's are manipulating the market's, either for power or profit. In my hometown, Tesco's seem to be forcing their way in areas, that people don't actually want them. And the worse thing about this, is that some council's appear to have agreements with Tesco, that prevents other from moving in as well.

Quickbeam 12:03 PM 14 Mar 13

They've taken their eye off the ball and are more interested in Tesco brandings like finance, phones, insurance etc, instead of basic priced services like the supermarket operation and in store cafes.

The fact that they seem to have been caught out more than any other retailer over the horsemeat saga confirms that the customer's satisfaction isn't their number one priority.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 now: how to download and install Windows 10 even if GWX.exe is missing

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Nokia rolls out spherical camera for virtual reality apps

New Apple TV 2015 release date rumours: Apple TV 'launching in September' plus patent filed for…