Tesco Clubcard vouchers nicked

BT 12:05 27 Jan 14
Answered

Some evil scroat hacked my Tesco Clubcard account and nicked £237 of vouchers, and to add insult to injury doubled them up with Clubcard boost before spending them.

Fortunately Tesco informed me that my Email had been changed on my account, and when I phoned them they said the order was for delivery to an address in London. Tesco helpline people were very helpful and have stopped the order and informed their fraud dept. and re-issued me all the vouchers.

fourm member 12:33 27 Jan 14

That's good to hear.

It is also an example for all those people who don't trust online services. The service providers, be it Tesco or a bank, have much more to lose so act quickly when something goes wrong.

spuds 13:01 27 Jan 14

I wonder if the incident was spotted due to your regular product purchases, and perhaps showing a change in buying pattern?.

Recently I was faced with obtaining an impulse item in-store with Clubcard Boost, but didn't have my vouchers with me at the time. It didn't take very long for the in-store customer services to gain access to my Clubcard account, and use the vouchers I had in that account for the purchase.

oresome 13:13 27 Jan 14

There has been some talk recently in the business press regarding the continuing benefit to Tesco of running the club card scheme.

The administration alone costs hundreds of millions per year besides the discount value on goods purchased.

This talk was in light of the increasing threat from Lidl and Aldi and ways Tesco could reduce costs to beat them on price.

Much of the marketing information gleaned from the club card is now got from customers internet purchases.

Who remembers Green Shield Stamps?

spuds 13:23 27 Jan 14

I well remember the days of Green Shield and one or two other saver schemes that were around at that time. Strange how the public and perhaps more so vehicle driver's who use to flock to the outlets showing the Green Shield sign.

I also recall the final days of the Asda card, and some of the problems people had cashing those in.

Only the other month I had a letter from the Co-op telling me that there would be no profit sharing vouchers this year with purchases made on their card, because of the previous years financial problems the Co-op had.

So it looks like a rethink is on the cards so to say?.

BT 15:20 27 Jan 14

I wonder if the incident was spotted due to your regular product purchases, and perhaps showing a change in buying pattern?.

Probably not. The majority of my expenditure at Tesco is for my weekly Groceries which doesn't vary much.

Apparently Tesco automatically send you an Email if your Email Address is changed even if you do it yourself, so that you can confirm it or not as the case may be. They have recently introduced an extra security level on the Clubcard Account login where you have to enter 3 random numbers from your 16 digit Clubcard number. So the 'evil one' changed my Email, got past my login Password and then the 3 from 16 digit random number.

Have just finished a 5 hour full scan (MalwareBytes) of the computer which came up with 2 instances of the PUP.Optional.Spigot.A Virus. Strange MacAfee didn't find it on the regular scan on Sunday.

BT 15:50 27 Jan 14
Answer

Just had a phone call from Tesco's 'Fraud Squad' to confirm the details.

Apparently some of the vouchers were used to try to buy something online, and some to exchange for restaurant vouchers for Cafe Rouge here in Norwich.

So they're on the case.

BT 17:19 27 Jan 14

Ah haaaa, I think I know the culprit ;)

Spill the beans then!!

Just wonder if that Virus I found had anything to do with it. Found the same one on both mine and my wife's laptops as well.

oresome 19:54 27 Jan 14

click here article regarding Clubcard fraud.

Guardian

oresome 11:40 31 Jan 14

Check your February statement.

Another article from the Telegraph here.

click here

spuds 11:49 31 Jan 14

One thing that I often find very annoying, is the fact when incidents like this occur, there is always an element of denial of security by the company's involved.

I have been having a number of problems with my on-line banking, and its surprising how that particular bank knows and admits to and about the problem, yet as 'no time scale' for correcting the problem?.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now