Teletext to Cease

morddwyd 09:39 20 Nov 09

Teletext (the company not the technology) is to stop its main service in the New Year.

click here

Another sign of the recession, or the continuing shake out in "the media"?.

Must admit I thought their licence gave them a legal obligation to provide this service, but obviously not.

Quickbeam 09:56 20 Nov 09

Linked to your end of CDs post, maybe in the future we'll all have a digital receiver implanted at birth. That way we will all be able to receive music, data, exam questions, work related information etc.

Oh dear... are we destined to become a race of androids by next century:(

justme 10:57 20 Nov 09

A few years ago the items on the news pages changed frequently and some were only there for a few hours. Now an item can be there for three or four days.

Perhaps if teletext had worked at providing the service then people would use it and they could then attract advertisers to pay for it. If the newspaper industry printed the same articles for days at a time then they would soon be out of business and the same applies to teletext.

In my opinion it boils down to bad management who wanted the rewards without doing the work.

dagbladet 11:06 20 Nov 09

I loved teletext when it first came out. It was seen as an optional extra costing maybe £20 or so more on its non-teletext equivilent. It was the 'internet' of it's time. News, football scores, flight arrivals, all updated as they happened. I thought it was great. It has now been superseeded by a whole host of alternative 'instant' portable media sources and is perhaps too expensive to justify it's reduced audience.

Time to move on perhaps, but I think it was great in it's time.

morddwyd 11:26 20 Nov 09

You may be right, but on the other hand the BBC digital teletext service is still fairly up to the mark, though whether its cost is justified is another matter.

dagbladet 12:36 20 Nov 09

I tend to find digital teletext much slower than analogue ever was. Not in respect of fresh information, but in that the pages seem awfully slow to load. Analogue text seemed much quicker. I'm sure there is some sort of techy reason for this.

interzone55 21:19 20 Nov 09

I notice that they're only pulling the news service, the Teletext Holidays service, which is basically just pages of adverts, is staying put.

"Must admit I thought their licence gave them a legal obligation to provide this service, but obviously not."

What made you think that? Teletext is a commercial operation, not a public service, so it can be pulled at any time they like. Similarly BBC Ceefax has no public service remit, so is being killed off when the analogue transmitters are fully switched off...

the hick 23:23 20 Nov 09

Teletext going, who remembers 'Prestel'? I think it was taken over, do not know by whom though.

Quickbeam 00:17 21 Nov 09

Can anyone remember The Royal mail?

morddwyd 07:20 21 Nov 09

"What made you think that?"

Thinking back to Oracle, and the licences awarded to the commercial networks - they bid for the licence but take on the commitment to provide the service for a set time.

I thought that Teletext, the company, was the same, but apparently not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…