Telephone Directories.

BT 12:35 15 Jul 14
Answered

Does anyone these days really use/need the BT Phone book any more?

It gets thinner every year and the print gets smaller and smaller. I did a bit of a straw poll yesterday amongst my Facebook people and they all said it is a waste of paper and most of them put it straight into the recycle bin.

These days most of us keep the numbers we need on our phones (mobile or landline) and other numbers we need are readily available on correspondence or online, and as most phone books now are only for our immediate surrounding areas are not much use. Then there are the hideously expensive 118 directory enquiry numbers who charge outrageous prices. Remember the outcry when BT started to charge for directory enquiries but at least that was a flat rate not by the minute like the 118 numbers. At least on Virgin their 118 service is FREE to customers.

So do we really need these books stuffed through our doors every so often or should BT cut their costs by scrapping them. Most of us can now access the Phone Book online, and its available on CD for large businesses if they need it.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:53 15 Jul 14

I never use a paper phone directory, haven't done for years. People without web access may still need them so, perhaps give people the option of opting out if they don't need one.

john bunyan 14:26 15 Jul 14

I actually use the local BT phone book quite a bit, and rarely use a mobile. I have a broadband phone which costs about £9 a month for unlimited calls to UK Eire, most of Europe, USA, Australia etc.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:55 15 Jul 14

MechKB 2

you could actually find a call box? all been removed from my local town.

it like the Public Conveniences all disappear in cost cutting exercises.

bumpkin 15:46 15 Jul 14

I actually saw someone using it recently

No public convenience presumably.

spuds 18:50 15 Jul 14

I like the challenge of using telephone directories, and seeing if the tradespeople I dial actually are advertising for work. They either seem very busy, far to expensive, never turn up, or one of those companies that say they are local, but seem to have 'jobbers' in most areas of the country :O(

VCR97 19:33 15 Jul 14

I always use the BT local directory.

Aitchbee 19:46 15 Jul 14
Answer

I have alway been impressed by anyone who could do this to a telephone directory.

click here

BT 07:57 16 Jul 14

Aitchbee

Much easier these days as they're only about a quarter as thick now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…