Telephone details....

OTT_Buzzard 17:07 02 Jun 09

If i've remembered correctly, if I request that a company removes my phone details from their records they are obliged to comply. That being the case, what is it that obliges them? Is it a law or code of conduct, Oftel etc etc.

Also, who would I report a company to for not complying with my request?

Oh hang on, one more question, does the request need to be in writing?

Thanks for any help!

BT 17:16 02 Jun 09

If you are asking this because of unwanted marketing calls you can register with the Telephone Preference Service.

If you have supplied your number at some time because you were a customer you can request that they remove your details or at least to desist from calling you.

I had this problem with my bank calling to "Discuss my Account". When I complained they said that I had supplied my number when opening my account. I reminded them that it was not an option not to and the number was for emergency use only.

Not sure of any legal requiremnt but I'm sure someone else might know.

OTT_Buzzard 17:21 02 Jun 09

the reason for asking is because i'm getting in to a deeper and deeper argument with a company about a 'debt' (and I do use the term loosly!).

The problem is that I have no immediate facilities to record phone calls so want all correspondance in writing.

BT 17:28 02 Jun 09

I see. Sorry I can't be more specific as I just don't know the whys and wherefores, but be advised however, that if you do record phone calls you are supposed to inform people that you are doing so.

Many modern digital answering machines by the way do have a facilty to record calls.

Kevscar1 18:06 02 Jun 09

OTT_Buzzard
had the same problem. Simply refused to answer their seciurity questions so they can't discus it with me and told them they will have to put everything in writing.

Forum Editor 19:15 02 Jun 09

to ask an organisation for a copy of any record it holds of your personal information, and to ask that it be removed from their files, provided the record is not required in the course of any business you may be conducting between you.

The organisation must comply with the disclosure request, but is allowed to make a nominal charge. Whether or not your deletion request is complied with depends on the specific circumstances involved.

You may record a telephone conversation, but if you subsequently want to use the recording as evidence in a court you won't be allowed to, unless you warned the other party that the conversation was being recorded.

OTT_Buzzard 20:20 02 Jun 09

It looks like my memory is playing tricks on me then....i thought there was some kind of protection from (essentially) a debt collection agency making phone calls if you have asked them not to.

Since I know that they have my phone number and have a good idea as to what other details they hold about me I don't think making a disclosure request will result in much.

I actually asked them to remove my number a couple of weeks ago and they said they would confirm in writing that they had while responding to a letter that i had previoulsy sent to them. Although they did respond to the letter, they didn't confirm that my phone details had been removed.

I don't suppose that failure to confirm removal of my phone number is an offence and since they have not phoned since this may all be about nothing.....

sidecar sid 20:45 02 Jun 09

Try this.
click here

WhiteTruckMan 21:12 02 Jun 09

your number?

WTM

FRANKMAC 05:38 06 Jun 09

This usually works for me, when called simply ask the caller for the name of thier Data Protection Manager (Or Controller) this is normally enough for them to hang up.

This link maybe useful too

click here

Forum Editor 08:15 06 Jun 09

of the Telecommunications Act 1984 and Section 92 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 it is an offence to make a threatening telephone call.

If the calls are not threatening, but are simply a form of harassment, they may constitute an offence under the harassment act 1997. This act says (amongst other things) that it is an offence to cause alarm, harassment or distress more than once as a result of an action you conduct against another person, even if that was not your intention. It applies to phone calls, letters, or conversations, or a mix of all three.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…