Telecoms- the break up of BT

jack 09:03 27 Mar 08

into various providers- caused a hiccup last evening.
The following is more a comment than a plea for help from Help or Consumer forums.

Whilst I was out, yesterday , my other half took a telephone message which on the face of it seemed urgent, that I ring back as soon as......
This I tried several times during the evening and got constant engaged.
As the folk concerned are elderly [ older even than me] immediate concerns cropped up.

So I dialled 100 for a line test- and having pressed all the buttons the 'Customer Advisor' responded 'Sorry 'guv not our customer' and refused to take it further.
It seems to me then if an emergency occurred -what would the next move be?
Moreover as BT under the 'OpenRoach' guise actually own the network and in fact only parcel out 'time' they should be in a position to check all lines...............
What do you all think?

In the event this morning all was well I was able to make contact
Oh and by the way- It was TalkTalk again.

interzone55 09:19 27 Mar 08

If you've moved to TalkTalk then you have left the BT network altogether, so in just the same way as you can't expect Ford to carry out a warranty repair on a Vauxhall, if you pay no money to BT they can't be expected to help you out...

oresome 09:29 27 Mar 08

You may well still be using BT local cables and BT will eventually repair them if there is a fault, but your service provider is obliged to undertake the fault analysis and then pass the fault for repair to BT.

This is to ensure that BT doesn't get unnecessary calls for repairs that aren't their responsibility.

Stuartli 09:55 27 Mar 08

>>If you've moved to TalkTalk then you have left the BT network altogether>>

That is completely erroneous and could/will prove very misleading to forum members.

You can't enjoy the benefits of TalkTalk unless you have a BT landline.

BT is still responsible for its section of the phone line from the exchange to your Master Socket - you are probably confusing the issue with the fact that Carphone Warehouse has already installed its LLU equipment in hundreds of BT exchanges.

spuds 11:55 27 Mar 08

The only chance of leaving the BT network is by going cable or satellite. BT still own the lines and exchanges, and are now (Openreach)contracted out to do the maintenance work for other ISP's.

Having recently changed from BT as my main supplier to Tiscali, I had problems and it was BT who did the repairs. Tiscali however kept me informed as to progress of resolving the problem.

I am still having slight problems, and Tiscali have informed me that they may get a 'network' engineer to look into the matter. Whether this is BT or Tiscali 'network' engineer, I wouldn't know, at this moment of time.

interzone55 12:00 27 Mar 08

I know just what I mean, when you use Talk Talk you don't pay a penny to BT, your line rental is paid to CPW, so why should BT help anyone who doesn't pay them.

Yes the cable from the exchange to your house is BT's, but they don't have any responsibility to the end user any more if they use Talk Talk, BT's responsibility is to CPW who pay for use of BT's lines. A small, but clear distinction.

My analogy may not be totally correct, maybe not right to compare to cars, perhaps maybe a better analogy is trying to claim for a delayed journey from Northern Trains when you paid & traveled by Virgin Trains, same track, different trains.

David4637 13:00 27 Mar 08

Talk Talk have taken over your line. Its there responsibility to take the issue with BT. TT have a contract with you, they pay BT to do repairs etc. You can not expect BT to look after you now - YOU HAVE DESERTED THEM in favour of TT.
QED (finish). David

Stuartli 13:29 27 Mar 08

As far as I've always been aware, TalkTalk pays BT the line rentals for its customers - it's collected and paid on your behalf because CPW gets a small commission through paying such line rentals.

If you have hundreds of thousands of subscribers, such small commission amounts add up to a considerable sum over the course of a year.

The simple fact remains that BT remains responsible for its phone lines from its exchanges to TT, OneTel, Tiscali etc subscribers' Master Sockets.

If you have any phone line problems, your ISP will take it up on your behalf with BT.

If any fault lies within an ISP's own LLU equipment at an exchange (which by-passes the BT equipment before rejoining the BT outgoing lines), then it is up to the ISP's own engineers to solve the problem(s).

jack 19:53 27 Mar 08

Not have read the thread correctly.
I am BT the caller I was trying to reach is OneTel/TT.
I was asking BT- My supplier- why I could not connect
I feel it is up to them to talk me through - not simply drop me like a hot potato.
And yes via their own spin off [OR] they still own the net work and rent out portions and collect fees for doing so.
Taking the train analogy- Virgin/Northern/ stage Coach/ Arriva - Rent the Rolling stock - sweep the platforms- sell tickets and rent track space from Rail Track.
If the trains are late it is inevitably in 99/100 times a track problem of some description- Rail Track
The 'Operators' simply collect the flack from us the users.

Graham. 09:41 28 Mar 08

You have a valid point. There should be a system in place whereby BT can give out the telephone number of the supplier. Perhaps you should raise the issue with Ofcom click here

Graham. 09:57 28 Mar 08

I should have added, it would not be possible for BT to test the line of another supplier remotely.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…