Tear Jerker

Bingalau 21:55 14 Oct 10

click here

Some of us will like this, others won't.

STREETWORK 22:01 14 Oct 10

Its a fine tibute...

gardener 22:29 14 Oct 10

I utterly sympathize with the loss that must be felt but I think this sums up everything that we have not learnt:

click here

Forum Editor 22:56 14 Oct 10

not to be affected by listening to this.

I think anyone who has sons or daughters can try to imagine how it would feel to see their child making a last journey home in this way, and sympathise with the parents who have to face the reality of it.

Dragon_Heart 22:56 14 Oct 10

... it's not our war !

gardener 23:01 14 Oct 10

FE,

That may be your opinion. The lyrics are sentimental, but it does not address the real reasons why these young people are being killed.

Forum Editor 23:32 14 Oct 10

The reasons for deaths on battlefields are a separate issue. I didn't mention it because I was commenting on the subject of the thread - the song.

Perhaps you didn't understand that?

gardener 23:40 14 Oct 10

I fully understand the sentiments of the song. I just can't abide that mawkish sentimentality which seems to pervade our society.
A quiet reflection by their loved ones in private would have been enough surely?

Forum Editor 00:27 15 Oct 10

Normally I would agree with you - I'm no fan of what you call 'mawkish sentimentality'.

Sometimes it's necessary for more than just quiet reflection by loved ones however - sometimes other people want to express sympathy in a collective way. It's not a new thing. Poems were written about the deaths of young soldiers in the first world war, and as long ago as the American civil war there were songs about the seemingly pointless deaths of thousands of young soldiers.

Were I to lose my son, or one of my daughters in this way I might draw some comfort from knowing that complete strangers were acknowledging their sympathy via a song.

There's no intrusion of private grief involved, and I can see no harm in it at all. Music can sometimes act as a bridge between sufferers and onlookers in these situations, allowing those outside to let the song do their talking for them.

rdave13 00:48 15 Oct 10

Thank you for the thread. Sentimental, mawkish or not, it is a video that shows respect for the dead.
Possibly it's a tribute to those that think more of this country by fighting for its values by joining up to the armed forces. Some might say that these folks join up simply because there is no other employment.
I sincerely doubt that.
Pride in ones country is not to be scoffed at and if people need to honour the dead, fighting for the beliefs of our country, then a little respect shouldn't be amiss.
" A quiet reflection by their loved ones in private would have been enough surely? "
Possibly for the family but other people's honour and respect to salute a fallen is tribute that needs to be said.

jakimo 01:57 15 Oct 10

'Were I to lose my son, or one of my daughters in this way I might draw some comfort from knowing that complete strangers were acknowledging their sympathy via a song.'

That exactly sums up what this video is all about

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017