Is Teaching really That Stressful?

Input Overload 20:54 10 May 12
Answered

BBC News Link I've just been reading this & I did a little research looked at at the way 'Sir Michael Wilshaw' turned one of the worst schools in performance to one of the best so he must know what he is talking about. I think teaching certainly is stressful but so are many jobs today.

For me personally having to be in Derby, Nottingham, Bristol, & Birmingham in the same day & avoiding traffic wardens & the like, hoping I can park near a job when I have to lug & wheel heavy gear around & being really nice to obnoxious people because they are customers ;-) But I can also have days off & I'm not tied to a fixed routine makes it worth it.

I'm sure we all have stress but is being captive in a classroom worse than average or have teachers got used to complaining how stressful their job is without realising there is employment which is different but just as blood pressure raising? Maybe if we don't like or can't deal with things we can always change employment?

I don't think I would like to be in the teaching profession though :-)

Tin hat on.

Aitchbee 21:20 10 May 12

Teachers don't, in general, have to work overtime and they get weekends off... not to mention the summer holidays when most schools are closed...can I get a GOLD STAR...Miss?

bremner 21:25 10 May 12
Answer

Anyone who thinks teaching is easy doesn't know the half of it.

As for AitchBee's crass posting, it is what we have come to expect.

Input Overload 21:31 10 May 12

As I knew nothing about Michael Wilshaw or at least not remembered his name my first reaction to the news article was 'what does he know, he no doubt had a silver spoon in his mouth' I was quite wrong about him though, but having never been a teacher I'm not really in a very good position to judge. From his remarks in that article he would perhaps start some interesting threads in 'Speakers Corner'.

I think maybe he is still somewhat annoyed with some of his colleagues in his past?

al's left peg 21:36 10 May 12

I would not want to be a teacher, having 2 teenagers at school at the present time what I have witnessed since I left school is a massive downturn in the lack of common discipline.

I left school in 1984 and although I did not enjoy it and did not agree with calling teachers "Sir", (they had never been knighted in my eyes, so I called them Mr ......) I do believe that it was more disciplined when I was at school. The teachers I remember were also in my opinion more highly qualified than the ones I come across at my kids school. Indeed some of them are just past the "surly teenager period" themselves. Others are very enthusiastic and are a credit to their profession and are generally very interested in the kids.

One of the problems of today though is the namby pamby attitudes towards discipline. In my day a blackboard rubber often flew through the air at an intended target who was disturbing the class. That would never happen today and in general the kids can get away with pretty much anything. I would ban mobile phones and allow a more tougher stance on discipline.

0n other facets of a teaching career it is a fantastic number. Basically a job for life, excellent holidays and a decent wage and pension.

Input Overload 21:47 10 May 12

I remember one history teacher who I actually have fond memory's about used to sneak up behind you with a small piece of hosepipe which was swiftly whacked on your leg much to the delight of the rest of the class if you were caught misbehaving.

I find temporary internet disconnection to be a prefect form of discipline with my daughter ~ I would actually like some small remote control with two buttons on, 'disconnect' & 'reconnect' to enable swift reprisals as it's a right pain to have to go in the router & reconnection can then only be done from a none wireless PC so I end up with more suffering than my disconnected offspring.

Aitchbee 22:00 10 May 12

...jobs that are more stressful than being a teacher.

1.Nurse.

2.Doctor.

3.England Football Manager

4.Border Control Worker.

5.PCA Forum Editor

6.Stand-up Comedian

7.Bee-Keeper

8.Lion Tamer

9.Trapeze Artist

10.Astronaut

Forum Editor 22:41 10 May 12

Most jobs come with the potential for creating stress. It's an unavoidable aspect of the human condition in modern societies, and we're not alone - wild animals are highly stressed by the presence of predators.

Different individuals react differently to stressful conditions; what is unbearable for one person can be acceptable to another, so it's difficult to make sweeping generalisations about this or that job being a stressful one. I'm quite sure that there are lots of highly-stressed teachers, but does that mean that being in the teaching profession is inherently more stressful than,say, being a nightclub door-person,or a cab driver?

Michael Wilshaw talks sense, and if only teachers and those who represent them would listen to him we might find that the profession takes a small but significant step forward.

Input Overload 22:41 10 May 12

I always though it must have been a little worrying while on the moon if you got lost while driving around on the moon buggy (me) or if it broke down. Worse still if the Lunar modulue didn't start up when you wished to leave ~ I would have thought the latter would be most upsetting.

Woolwell 23:22 10 May 12

AitchBEE's posts show once again that he hasn't a clue about what he is posting about and it is about time he piped down.

Teaching like many jobs can be stressful and it can be very rewarding. It depends on the school, its management, the parents' expectations (high or nil) and the behaviour of the students (pupils). The bad behaviour is frequently due to poor parenting. Teachers do work long hours and some still take children away on events including weekends. Some still work with football teams etc outside of normal work hours.

One of the problems that they have to deal with nowadays is the setting of targets which treat children as if they were tins of beans or something off a production line instead of individual people with differing abilities. It seems that every child has to achieve a high standard academically when some would be more suited to more practical training. Unrealistic expectations and the constant demand to reach ever higher targets can create stress. But many of the teaching unions do seem to shout about it too much.

Forum Editor 23:40 10 May 12

"It seems that every child has to achieve a high standard academically when some would be more suited to more practical training."

Isn't that precisely what the old system of Grammar schools and Secondary moderns was designed to address?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac