Tax in Uk

Hi
My friend brought a Laptop from US. I am staying in UK. If he sent that for me, do I have to pay any tax in UK?. How will I get more information about that.
Please help me
Jomet

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:46 26 Oct 07

There will be transport costs of around £50, import duty of 5-9% and VAT at 17.5% If the lappy cost the equivalentof £400 in the States you will need to add about £150 for duties and post.

G

spuds 20:37 26 Oct 07

You seem to say that your friend 'brought' a Laptop 'from' the USA.Can I assume that the laptop is already in the UK?.

PalaeoBill 18:35 27 Oct 07

You say that you are 'staying in the UK'. Much depends upon your position in the UK. If you are not an EU citizen and the laptop will be leaving with you when you return home, it is quite likely that import duty will not be payable. You need to talk to HM Customs. They are generally very helpful.

actually i am indian citizen and came to uk for 1 year. my laptop is there in US. My friend brought for me as a gift. I would like to recive it.
I think Gandalf reply is the right one for me.
thank u
jomet

laurie53 19:26 29 Oct 07

PalaeoBill is right. Since you are going back to India after a year you will probably not have to pay duty.

spuds 10:27 30 Oct 07

I know this as nothing to do with the USA and the UK import/export of personal goods. When I was travelling extensively many years ago, it was the general that all items purchased from another country was declared at various customs posts, and each seemed to have different arrangements or understandings of what is and what is not.

A typical arrangement that I had in South East Asia, and particularly with Hong Kong. Arrive at the customs and declare the item(s). If I wanted to use the goods in Hong Kong then I paid duty, collecting a refund on the way out. If I didn't want to pay duty, then the goods were impounded without payment and kept safe at the point of entry, and I again was able to collect the goods on the way out.

One thing that's always stuck in my mind, is an incident that happened at the airport in Hong Kong. On arrival I declared two parangs and a kukri, these were all 'confiscated' as undesirable and dangerous implements. Yet passing through customs, these same items or very similar were readily and freely available from many traders within Hong Kong. On exit, the items were returned, and strange enough, travelling through S.E.A to and into the UK, not one objection regarding legal procession was made. Whatever the case, I always declared everything, and by doing so, many a problem was easily solved.

wee eddie 12:26 30 Oct 07

If you contact HM Customs and tell them of your departure from the UK.

There are provisions for the Import and subsequent Export of Goods in their Handbook. They should be able to fill you in on the requirements.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…