Tarmac Drive and Moss - Best Solution?

onthelimit1 12:07 15 Nov 14
Answered

My 17yr old drive is gradually being taken over by moss. I tried pressure washing a couple of years ago, and also tried a solution of Jeyes fluid (terrible smell). Neither very successful.

Anyone with personal experience who could recommend a better option?

spuds 12:32 15 Nov 14

One way that I have found, is to use a very stiff bristle brush, and sweep all areas. Pressure washers, depending on psi can destroy tarmac if old. Wash over with hose pipe, then spray or was the tarmac with a professional type moss and weed killer (you will need to get this from a licensed stockist or manufacturer outlet).

When all is dry and clean, use a sealer, spray or brush on, which you will get possibly from a builder's merchant, perhaps Wickes, Screwfix, Toolstation etc.

If there is any patching up to do, then Wickes have a cold roll product suitable for this. But be warned, use to instructions, because non-prep might result in the work not being satisfactory, especially if the area as hard usage.

If the area is 17 plus years old, then it might be time to consider re-topping.

wee eddie 16:08 15 Nov 14

Moss likes damp, shady, places.

Get rid of the damp and the shade and the problem will go away

Al94 17:04 15 Nov 14

Dilute Jays Fluid, apply with watering can then agitate with brush, leave for a few hours then hose off. Moss will go brown aftet a few days and can be brushed off.

onthelimit1 18:18 15 Nov 14

thanks all. I have tried Jeyes (as mentioned) but the smell was pretty awful for a long time after. Will investigate the pro stuff - anyone any particular brands in mind?

onthelimit1 18:19 15 Nov 14

'Get rid of the damp and the shade and the problem will go away'

It's not in a shady place, and only gets damp when it rains.

flycatcher1 18:27 15 Nov 14

This morning I spent nearly three hours spraying my mossy forecourt and drive with a product bought on the Internet. I know that it works because I did a small area last week and the moss was killed off even though it came onto rain as I finished. It operates best when it does not rain for five or six hours, I just made it today.

I bought 10 litres, which cme in a large plastic container, and cost just over £40. Use 1:4 but only 1:9 if the moss coverage is light. I have used four litres so far and I hope that I can use the rest next year. We live in a three bed roomed house but the drive is 12 feet wide and over 80 metres long with a forecourt big enough to park ten or so cars. If I am allowed to name the product I will with pleasure.

I used to use Jeyes Fluid but it has been changed and does not work very well in my experience.

Aitchbee 19:27 15 Nov 14

Perhaps you should consider ordering up some big bags of an appropriate gravelly material to totally cover your 'mossy-drive' ... rolling stones gather no moss - so they say :o]

flycatcher1 20:33 15 Nov 14

Aitchbee My stuff came from Glasgow, must be good !

onthelimit1 08:30 16 Nov 14

If it came from Glasgow, I assume it's been deep fried?!

I would appreciate the name of the product - I don't think that would attract FE's wrath!

BT 08:49 16 Nov 14
Answer

The moss killer in lawn products is Ferric Sulphate so perhaps a solution of this sprayed on would do the job. Its readily available.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009