Talking Heads

laurie53 09:30 23 Jul 09

What is it with the BBC and talking heads?

There’s one particular sporting event that I normally watch with another broadcaster.

When the event is over the commentators usually keep talking while the cameras roam the winner’s enclosure, the changing rooms, the spectator areas etc.

The event has recently been taken over by the BBC, and as soon as it’s over we cut to the usual pundits, standing four square to camera, reviewing the event and the winners, losers, DNFs etc and generally being boring.

They do the Chelsea Flower Show, a colour TV spectacular if ever there was one, and we spend most of the programme watching self-styled experts giving their opinions on the exhibits, which we are lucky to see five seconds of.

Last night I watched the Royal Welsh Show and again a large part of the programme, probably more than half, is spent with experts talking about what to look for in the various beasts, which we rarely got to see anyway.

Are they still stuck in their “voice only” radio heritage, and not believing that pictures will ever really catch on as a means of communication?

canarieslover 14:12 23 Jul 09

The Beeb are just giving you value for money. Fancy paying all that money out to these people and not showing their faces as much as possible. Programme content takes second place to celebrity faces.

wee eddie 14:40 23 Jul 09

To be honest ~ Radio does it better

dagbladet 15:29 23 Jul 09

I'm genuinely curious. As a non-country type person, how could something like a flower or agricultural show be done better on the radio?

laurie53 20:19 23 Jul 09

Don't go to the Falklands.

They do sheepdog trials on radio there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced