Tablet on / off switch

paddyjack 11:45 24 Sep 12

Does anybody know of a 10in tablet with front facing on/off switch?

It is just some research for my quadriplegic brother, he uses a stick in his mouth to operate keyboards and such, hence the front switch.

Nontek 12:22 24 Sep 12

This one has on/off switch on Top, is that any good?

morddwyd 12:37 24 Sep 12

If her still has speech there are some with voice commands, even for on/off.

paddyjack 15:47 24 Sep 12

X7-250 the touch screen he can manage I managed to convert the 'stick' to a stylus by chopping up a 'Neat Cosmonaut' stylus that he had swipe function is not the easiest though.

Got some things to work on.

bremner 21:44 24 Sep 12

I have an iPad and very rarely fully switch it off as one of the big advantages of a tablet is its "always on" no boot up.

It has an autolock which sort of shuts the machine down after a set number of minutes. It restarts by pushing the front button.

paddyjack 21:49 24 Sep 12

Thanks bremner was inclined towards the iPad as it seemed to fit the bill but he is not a great Apple fan unfortunately. We will press on.

Forum Editor 22:00 24 Sep 12

I think your brother would encounter difficulties with the pinch action on an iPad screen. I use an iPad extensively - I'm using one one to write this - and the pinch action screen resize is indispensable as far as I'm concerned. The iPad screen is capacitive, and relies on two points of skin contact . Pointers or fingernails won't work. You'll find that most new tablet screens are capacitive.

paddyjack 10:49 26 Sep 12

Thanks everyone for the input, think its back to the drawing board and a rethink

bremner 17:33 26 Sep 12

There are now a number of pointers / stylus for the iPad - a friend swears by his. I am not sure which one he has but this is an example iPad Pen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Apple Event live stream | Apple October Event live blog: Watch Apple unveil new MacBook Pro, new…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Lida designs a cross-stitch email sent to thousands of Ikea Family members

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: Faster performance, a brighter screen, water-ret…