Tablet on / off switch

paddyjack 11:45 AM 24 Sep 12

Does anybody know of a 10in tablet with front facing on/off switch?

It is just some research for my quadriplegic brother, he uses a stick in his mouth to operate keyboards and such, hence the front switch.

Nontek 12:22 PM 24 Sep 12

This one has on/off switch on Top, is that any good?

morddwyd 12:37 PM 24 Sep 12

If her still has speech there are some with voice commands, even for on/off.

X7-250 12:55 PM 24 Sep 12

you may also need to consider the touch screen technology,

screens are either resistive or capacitive, the former works simply from pressure, the latter works through conductivity of touch by skin.

maybe the stick is conductive, but if not, you may need a resistive screen.

paddyjack 15:47 PM 24 Sep 12

X7-250 the touch screen he can manage I managed to convert the 'stick' to a stylus by chopping up a 'Neat Cosmonaut' stylus that he had swipe function is not the easiest though.

Got some things to work on.

bremner 21:44 PM 24 Sep 12

I have an iPad and very rarely fully switch it off as one of the big advantages of a tablet is its "always on" no boot up.

It has an autolock which sort of shuts the machine down after a set number of minutes. It restarts by pushing the front button.

paddyjack 21:49 PM 24 Sep 12

Thanks bremner was inclined towards the iPad as it seemed to fit the bill but he is not a great Apple fan unfortunately. We will press on.

Forum Editor 22:00 PM 24 Sep 12

I think your brother would encounter difficulties with the pinch action on an iPad screen. I use an iPad extensively - I'm using one one to write this - and the pinch action screen resize is indispensable as far as I'm concerned. The iPad screen is capacitive, and relies on two points of skin contact . Pointers or fingernails won't work. You'll find that most new tablet screens are capacitive.

paddyjack 10:49 AM 26 Sep 12

Thanks everyone for the input, think its back to the drawing board and a rethink

bremner 17:33 PM 26 Sep 12

There are now a number of pointers / stylus for the iPad - a friend swears by his. I am not sure which one he has but this is an example iPad Pen

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus launch live: What to expect from Apple's 9 September 2015…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Swedish schoolkids use Minecraft to redesign Stockholm city centre

Apple's special event invitations decoded: A look back at 13 of Apple's most cryptic invites