Syria/Turkey Row

morddwyd 13:45 24 Jun 12

Turkey has asked for a NATO meeting.

Am I being particularly cynical in thinking that perhaps Turkey has been persuaded to be very provocative so that NATO can get some more weapons practice in against Muslims?

Woolwell 14:09 24 Jun 12

You're being too cynical. The shooting down of the F4 is just the latest in problems with Syria. Back in April Syria fired across the border into Turkey killing a Turkish policeman. Turkey is being severely provoked.

Aitchbee 14:30 24 Jun 12

What Syria does/or doesn't do is nobody else's business.

Britain (Europe), and USA seem to be adopting this line, so far.

Woolwell 14:37 24 Jun 12

AitchBEE - So the atrocities being committed in Syria are nobody else's business? Would you have them ignored by other countries.

Forum Editor 14:40 24 Jun 12

AitchBEE

"What Syria does/or doesn't do is nobody else's business"

Are you seriously suggesting that when an oppressive regime embarks on a killing spree, with its own citizens on the receiving end everyone else should just look the other way, saying 'it's none of our business'?

There's a good deal of international concern over what is happening in Syria, but options are - at the moment - limited. The consensus of opinion is probably that the Syrian regime doesn't have much longer before it collapses, and that it's better, in the long run, to allow the inevitable to happen, rather than risk the many problems associated with a military intervention of any kind.

Aitchbee 14:44 24 Jun 12

Woolwell, nobody (The rest of the world) is doing anything about these atrocities...that is my point.

Syria will not listen to diplomacy, so force might be required.

Aitchbee 14:47 24 Jun 12

FE - I acknowledge what you say and refer you to my last comment to woolwell.

Woolwell 14:49 24 Jun 12

AitchBEE - That is not what you originally posted. You have only now made that point.

Aitchbee 14:53 24 Jun 12

Woolwell some of my remarks are made with sarcastic overtones and are somewhat curt.I appologise.

Forum Editor 15:02 24 Jun 12

"Turkey is being severely provoked."

That depends on who you believe - the Turkish authorities, who say their aircraft was on a routine training mission, and was 13 nautical miles off the Syrian coast when it was engaged and shot down, or the Syrian authorities, who say it had 'penetrated' their airspace.

Turkey admits that the aircraft 'momentarily' entered Syrian airspace by accident, and immediately made a turn when this was realised.

Now, imagine you are a Turkish air force commander - would you allow a 'routine' training mission to fly so close to the airspace border of a country with whom relations are - to put it mildly - somewhat tense? The Syrians are saying they didn't realise, at the time, that this plane was Turkish, but that takes a bit of swallowing. One wonders just where they thought it had come from. A normal response to seeing an unauthorised military aircraft in your airspace would be to put up an interception flight, and warn the pilot that his aircraft would be fired on unless he made an immediate exit. That they didn't do this is an indication of just how jumpy they are.

Turkey will consult with other NATO allies before responding - let's hope the advice is to make a huge fuss and nothing more. The very last thing the world needs is retaliatory action that could precipitate an all-out state of conflict in the region.

Aitchbee 15:05 24 Jun 12

Woolwell - perhaps you missed the second line of my first post...

Britain (Europe), and USA seem to be adopting this line, so far.

That is, nothing is being done. (I don't like going over old ground.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…