Swine Flu

ronalddonald 22:43 19 Nov 09

this pandemic flu service is a complete shambles.

I called them this morning only to be told they guy hat to through some questions on his computer screen. It didn't take into account that i was a diabetic and i had aches and pains that you would get if you had flu. It also didn't take into account if your asthmatic.

Although the recorded information priory to talking to NHS member of staff ask that you should have any known allergies or other medical problems you have to tell them. Which i did. Because my temperature wasn't above 38 Celsius i was classed as person who didn't have swine flu.

My symptoms got worse even though my temperature was normal. As a last resort i rang my GP surgery and spoke to one of the doctors who wrote a prescription for Tami flu there and then on the phone.

Forum Editor 23:54 19 Nov 09

doesn't mean that you have swine flu, and if you don't have it the TamiFlu will be of no use whatever - you'll simply have wasted some public money.

Hundreds of thousands of people are currently suffering from viral infections that make them feel lousy. They have runny noses, or sore throats, or raised temperatures, or aches in the joints,or other symptoms and immediately lots of them think 'Maybe I have swine flu".

Some of them may have it, but the vast majority do not. Of those that do not, large numbers persuade busy doctors or NHS telephone assessors that they need TamiFlu, and they get it. We're pouring large sums of money down the drain.

I'm sorry to hear that you feel ill - I do, too, but I'm almost prepared ot bet that neither of us has swine flu.

Quickbeam 05:09 20 Nov 09

Beechams it is then...

morddwyd 09:23 20 Nov 09

Been in bed with similar for two days.

Don't think it's swine flu though (probably that damned liver!)

Keep warm, plenty of fluids, usual stuff.

If I'm still here in a week it'll be time to trouble the doctor (or the pharmacist - no waiting, personal service).

v1asco 09:56 20 Nov 09

I am diabetic (type 2) and have been told by my surgery I am in the at risk category. As a result I have had the flu jab and soon the swine flu one.

johndrew 09:56 20 Nov 09

`.. or the pharmacist ..`

I agree. Many have a better grip on the effects and side effects of the drugs/medicines they sell and often offer better advice. And as you say, your `appointment` is pretty much instant with no receptionist telling you there is no space for the next week or so.

birdface 18:17 20 Nov 09

I was at the surgery to day to make an appointment with the doctor and said to the receptionist when are you doing the swine flu jabs.
I told her I had to go into hospital shortly and would like the jab before going in.
So I have an appointment to get the Swine Flu jab in a fortnight.
I thought it cannot be that easy to get surely.
Just wondering if she got it mixed up with the normal Flu jab.
Or is the normal Flu jab also the Swine Flu jab.

Pineman100 18:31 20 Nov 09

No, there are two jabs: seasonal flu and swine flu.

I'm not surprised that you found it easy to get the swine flu innoculation if you're going into hospital. They'd certainly want to try and ensure that you aren't carrying the bug when you're admitted.

Curio 18:58 20 Nov 09

Wife and I had seasonal flu jabs in October, (both Type 2 Diabetics). Had letter from Dr Tuesday last with appointment for Swine Flu jab for tomorrow morning. We appear to be the 'lucky ones', as I have read some areas have difficulty obtaining Swine Flu jab supplies.

wellshgit 19:27 20 Nov 09

Took wife to our Practice Nurse 2 weeks ago to have routine blood tests. Nurse said to wife you can have seasonal flu jab while you are here, and said is Keith with you? Wife said yes, so we both had the jab.
This week took wife to see Nurse again for routine diabetic checks, and same thing happened with both of us getting Swine Flu jabs. Maybe we are lucky as they seem to have plenty of flu jab supplies.

oresome 19:33 20 Nov 09

The receptionist phoned me last week to ask if I wanted the swine flu vacination.

I declined as it's rare that I get other than a cold that lasts 3 or 4 days. My wife on the other hand always has a cold for a fortnight and suffers much worse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…