Sweet Sauces

morddwyd 13:21 04 Jul 12

I've just had the most disgusting game pie, simply because it was so sweet.

Why don't modern chefs realise that mint, apple, cranberry or, in my case, Cumberland, sauces do not have to be so sweet that you can pour them over stale cake and serve with custard?

wee eddie 13:41 04 Jul 12

I guess that the Cumberland Sauce came out of a bottle, which is frequently made by, more or less, mixing Marmalade with Red Currant Jelly.

However you must remember that, in the past, sugar was an expensive commodity and therefor any dish that had a residual sweetness was highly sought after. So you may be on a looser!

Aitchbee 14:57 04 Jul 12

Some TV chefs add some 'grated lemon peel', pulverised lemongrass or lemon juice to balance the sweetness of a sauce...in a blender. Jamie did that when he made a sauce for a Thai curry dish.

wiz-king 15:27 04 Jul 12

Delia has spoken:-

This is, for me, one of the great classic English sauces, provided it's made with a good-quality redcurrant jelly with a high fruit content; some of the commercial varieties are lacking in fruit and are too sickly sweet. Cumberland sauce is always served cold and is a wonderful accompaniment to either hot or cold gammon, tongue, cold goose or game, and it goes extremely well with a slice of Old-fashioned Raised Game Pie. This sauce should not be thickened – it is meant to have a thinnish consistency.

spuds 18:13 04 Jul 12

Seeing how some chef's appear to spent hours perfecting a sauce, you get the idea that is why a simple cut of meat with a few trimmings are so expensive.

Bingalau 18:33 04 Jul 12

My eighteen year old grand-daughter has managed to convince me (at 82) that a liberal dose of Tomato Ketchup goes with almost anything savoury. Previously I thought it was a liberal dose of "Daddie's" rich brown sauce. (TIC)

wee eddie 20:05 04 Jul 12

Spuds: The sauce is frequently to mask a cheap cut of meat and allow the "Chef" to charge more for it!

morddwyd 21:42 04 Jul 12

It's not just Cumberland sauce.

Mint sauce, which needs a very little sugar to take the edge off the vinegar, could be poured over ice cream in some restaurants.

Cranberry sauce just needs the dryness of the fruit eased a tad, but in some places could be spread on scones with cream.

Apple sauce, where the acidity eases the fattiness of the pork, may as well be served with custard.

spuds 00:09 05 Jul 12

wee eddie, you could well be very right, because it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

We use to buy 'organic' pork joints, until the supplier we got them from was prosecuted and fined rather heavily for selling non-organic sourced pork that was repackaged as organic.

Quickbeam 09:02 05 Jul 12

'Cranberry sauce just needs the dryness of the fruit eased a tad' Are you kidding? Cranberries come second to quince and leave a lemon in only third place as the most tart fruit on earth. Without at least 50% sugar adding they're inedible.

Last year I made some stewed gooseberries as a desert. They were still a bit tart but I discovered that they made a good alternative to apple sauce with pork especially with the cinnamon I'd added before I added more sugar to the rest.

Never be frightened to alter a recipe to your own taste, even if it's a long standing classic. Everyone's grandma makes a classic that's a bit different to another's.

BT 09:24 05 Jul 12

Just make sure if you are cooking Rhubarb that you use lots of SUGAR not as I did accidentally once and put in salt by mistake

You've never tasted anything so awful even with custard on it!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…