Swearing

Z1100 14:59 26 Feb 07

I can think of a lot of swear words but I can think of a lot better things to say to express myself or to hurt or offend someone with words.

So, why do most people take offence when someone swears?

Surely if we just decided that *%@! was not a 'swear' word or offencive it would change in a generation or two.

Would it?

Hanx!
K.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:57 26 Feb 07

The original drafts of Shakespeares' plays were full of swearing, innuendo and downright rudeness and filth that would have made a sergeant major blush...Boswell waded through them and crossed out all the swearing and filthy phrases with a blue pencil (actually...which is why blue and censorship are related. Anyhow if it was good enough for The Bard it will do for me.

G

I've often wondered this myself. Although you can get through most day-to-day conversations just fine without using swear words, there are some examples where it is difficult to express what you mean without them.

One example that springs to mind is that outside my room there is a toilet which is more of a cupboard than a room, with very poor ventilation and no windows. Someone has just taken a "number 2" and left the door open. As I walked past I said "the corridor stinks of s***" and I can't really think of a better way to describe it! "The corridor smells of faeces"?

€dstowe 16:42 26 Feb 07

I don't have anything against swearing per se, but I do find excessive swearing objectionable, This is because if you swear too much, too often, what words do you have left when you really need to use them?

Bingalau 17:48 26 Feb 07

My Friends from Germany have a laugh over a German expression which my German teacher gave me free of charge. "Scheiben Kleister" Doesn't that sound really fruity and rude? My English friends think it is swearing, especially when said with feeling. ..Bingalau..

p;3 18:15 26 Feb 07

believe it or not but there is a medical condition part of whose affects are that one does swear; I recall a patient come through my department whom we were warned WOULD swear and that, for that patient, this was 'normal' behaviour
it was both ammusing, then sad, to hear the 'f'ing and 'b'ing going on (and worse);of course they were treated with respect and dignity as we knew it was completely unintentional

some of the other patients looked shocked...but that's life....

GANDALF <|:-)> 18:17 26 Feb 07

That'll be Tourettes Syndrome.

G

Watchful 18:25 26 Feb 07

It's all relative to whatever society you find yourself in. Certain words are considered to be swear words in the UK and so it is offensive to use them when there are so many other descriptive words in the English language.

p;3 18:29 26 Feb 07

thanks

click here from a google search on it
P3

Forum Editor 18:58 26 Feb 07

from time to time - either out loud or in our heads - and there's nothing particularly dreadful about that, it's what swear words are for.

The problem comes when we do it in the company of people we don't know very well (or at all). Swearing in those circumstances is not acceptable because you're making an assumption - that the other person or people won't mind - and you're effectively telling them 'I don't really have enough respect for your personal feelings to worry about whether you're offended by my language, so I'll just go ahead and say the words'. It's downright rudeness, and does nothing to further a conversation.

I'm known for operating a zero-tolerance policy here, in the forum, and sometimes it irritates some people - they write to me asking why they can't use bad language with some of the letters replaced with asterisks.

I don't tolerate it for two reasons

1. It's totally unnecessary - this is a computer web forum, and nothing anyone writes can possibly need to contain bad language.

2. I would only need to make an exception once, and in a very short space of time the threads would be awash with obscenties. It would happen as surely as night follows day, and the forum would be degraded by it. We would simply become yet another web forum where people behave just as they like.

It's not going to happen on my watch, as a certain President might say.

IClaudio 19:13 26 Feb 07

There's nothing intrinsically wrong with a swear word, and they can be very creative - it becomes offensive when used as a lazy alternative to actually thinking about what you want to say.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…