suspect site?

castiel333 22:50 30 Oct 04

Ive often seen click here given as a link for downloading security software and up and till now I have trusted this site and downloaded from there several times however after just having downloaded,installed,then uninstalled pestpatrol(when I found out it scanned but didnt remove)I discovered they had also given me whenu.weathercast.Im hoping this was a one off because I really would like to be able to continue to use this site for downloads but I just dont know if I can trust them now. I would really appriciate anyones opinion on this.

VoG II 22:55 30 Oct 04

MajorGeeks has never given me any grief but but that is a bit worrying.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Pest Patrol. The free (removes nothing) variety found loads of "problems" on my squeaky clean machine and offered to fix them - for a price, of course.

rdave13 22:57 30 Oct 04

Just read in another thread that pp is a no go area!

castiel333 23:02 30 Oct 04

Thanks Vog I had been thinking of buying the full version but I dont think Ill bother now and as you havent had any problems Ill still use them and hope that really was a one off. thanks again lucyj

castiel333 23:04 30 Oct 04

Noted RDave13 thank you too.

CurlyWhirly 01:05 31 Oct 04

Personally I wouldn't bother with Pest Patrol.

I agree with VoG™ as I posted a thread at click here where PestPatrol gave me and BertieCharlie loads of false positives and if you deleted them you could mess up your PC.
I have since uninstalled it and don't intend on using it again.

gudgulf 01:47 31 Oct 04

I am also going to add my support to Major Geeks.I have used and recommended this site many times.I have not had any problems with it and will continue to recommend it.

Bear in mind that you need to have a good background protection when surfing the web whatever sites you visit..I doubt very much that you got your trojan from Major Geeks for example...but you never know.My advice would be to have Spybot S$D on your system click here .Make sure it is fully up-to -date and enable the immunisation function.Also use SpywareBlaster click here both of which will stop most of these malware applications installing on your pc inn the first place.

Incidentally how did you discover you had whenu.weathercast?

spuds 11:27 31 Oct 04

I use the Major Geek site on a number of occassions, and have always had no problems until a visit last week.One or two strange happenings, but I put this down to my pc more than the Major Geek site. But it is now making me think, did Major Geek have an unexpected intrusion last week.Is so, then this is something to bear in mind.

castiel333 21:50 31 Oct 04

Gudgulf After I uninstalled pestpatrol I used search companion to see if anything was left.I clicked onto a folder titled pestpatrol and saw something saying whenu.weathercast.

gudgulf 22:40 31 Oct 04

Ive decided to try downloading PestPatrol from Major Geeks myself and see if there is anything untoward in the program folder...just for curiosity's sake.It seems a bit odd that it should be in the folder of an application that claims to detect and remove such spyware.

gudgulf 22:54 01 Nov 04

Well I've downloaded the program from Major Geeks--nothing untoward.I'm at a complete loss as to where your spyware came from.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Studio vs iMac 5K comparison review: Apple and Microsoft all-in-one PCs battle it out

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Social media image sizes, specs and aspect ratios: the ultimate guide

New MacBook Pro release date, price and specs | New MacBook Pro 2016 announced: Now with Touch Bar…