Surprised no comment on UKIP's success

john bunyan 14:10 10 Oct 14
Answered

I suppose the Clacton result can be judged as the voters being loyal to the incumbent. It is clear the main reason for their popularity is their stance on immigration. I suspect that at the General election voters may well prefer the main two parties, and perhaps Labour may be more worried than the Tories. I have no political allegiance; I think we certainly need some immigration, but I also think we need younger, skilled, people. The NHS is hard pressed already , and to take on the additional burden of older immigrants who have put nothing into the pot seems a difficult issue. The queues at Calais are getting longer and the world problems will only increase them so something has to be done on the non EU people.

spider9 14:27 10 Oct 14

Yes, but strange that Clacton seemingly has very little problem with 'immigrants' - yet have voted UKIP (or, as you say, loyalty to their old Tory defector).

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:41 10 Oct 14

something has to be done on the non EU people.

sounds discriminating in itself, :o)

people are people wherever they come from.

With all the worlds troubles, especially the middle east, all the "wealthy countries" should be sharing the burden.

Flak999 14:41 10 Oct 14

It's been a long but very successful night! I did not start a thread on this myself because it always seems to be me pushing the UKIP agenda and I thought that maybe you had all had enough of the discussion here?

However as the topic has been broached by JB maybe it is worth having a discussion about it again? The Clacton result was an excellent one, Douglas Carswell is an excellent constituency MP and this has been shown in the fantastic majority he achieved in what was until recently a safe Conservative seat.

However the real shock of the night was the result of the Heywood and Middleton election which saw a rock solid Labour seat almost lost to UKIP, with the Labour majority slashed to just 617 votes and the UKIP share of the vote up to 36%.

Mark my words there will be more defections to UKIP before the general election and they wont just be Tory defectors! The next big test for UKIP will be the Rochester and Strood by-election. If and it's a big if, they can win this election then all bets are off for the general election. You could see UKIP becoming the third party in British politics with the possibility (slight I will admit) of UKIP holding the balance of power in a hung parliament.

Interesting and very exciting times ahead!

Flak999 14:59 10 Oct 14

Jock1e

I think you are right, voters are heartily fed up with the LibLabCon! the Westminster elites have totally lost touch with the British electorate, and as far as the Tory scare tactics of saying a vote for UKIP is a vote for Ed Milliband, well a vote for the LibLabCon is just a vote for the status quo isn't it?

Certain members on this site have always said that if you don't like the government or your MP then vote them out at the next election. That is exactly what we are going to do!

Flak999 15:11 10 Oct 14

Jock1e

"Labour never lost any votes in the Heywood and Middleton election they actually gained a few"

Your right they did, but this is the party that is hoping to form the next government in just over six months time. They should be way ahead of the governing party in the polls, the're not! They should be winning by-election after by-election hand over fist, the're not!

They should have won or come second in Clacton, they didn't! Labour activists are coming to the dread realisation that they elected the wrong Milliband as leader, they will pay for that mistake dearly next May!

spuds 15:56 10 Oct 14

"You could see UKIP becoming the third party in British politics with the possibility (slight I will admit) of UKIP holding the balance of power in a hung parliament."

With a recent speech by Nick Clegg, I got the impression he might have thought of that as well.

I wonder how many defector's might be thinking of returning back to their old party's, if things do not turn out as they expect. And will those party's give welcoming arms, because that defector as brought back a 'won' seat. Which might not have been so easy to have won (just thinking out loud, you understand!).

wee eddie 17:27 10 Oct 14

The choice of Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson, begins to make Mileband sound appealing!

spider9 17:29 10 Oct 14
Answer

By elections have, historically, shown some very unusual results - only to 'return to mother' at the next general election!!

UKIP will get much more scrutiny for all their policies, between now and May - perhaps even the remnants of 'Project Fear' that they used in Scotland may be employed (Vote for UKIP and let Labour in?).

Pine Man 18:54 10 Oct 14

UKIP = Polite BNP;-)

Forum Editor 19:12 10 Oct 14

I think that Clacton voted as much for the candidate as for anything else - they would have voted for him in any case.

The result at Heywood and Middleton is a different kettle of fish. Ed Miliband has a good deal to be worried about.

As they say, a week in politics is a long time, and lots of things can happen before the next general election. Should Nigel Farage feel encouraged? Of course he should, but there's a world of difference between doing well in a couple of bye-elections and becoming a real power in politics. Farage will need to watch his back - Douglas Carswell has his eye on more than his seat in the House, and he knows that the UKIP message must be tempered with commonsense if the party is to have the faintest hope of winning a large slice of the vote. He hinted at it in his victory speech - UKIP must appeal to the whole country, not just a fringe minority of racist mouth-foamers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…