Supermarkets - pay more to get less

TopCat® 15:35 25 Oct 09

My wife of many years is a very careful shopper and checks prices and quantities on many items before buying. Having lived through the war years and the subsequent rationing period that followed, it has become second nature to her and, to a certain extent, also to me.

Nowadays, as this linked story shows - click here - it certainly pays to read the labels before dropping those items in the trolley. TC.

Ge-orge 15:39 25 Oct 09

"it certainly pays to read the labels before dropping those items in the trolley"

Why? Food is getting expensive and the population is overweight as it is. Product shrinkage, or shrinkray, seems logical to me.

jakimo 16:29 25 Oct 09

What has some people being obese got to do with Supermarkets charging more for their products?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 25 Oct 09

This isn't new

we all know wagon wheels and curly whurlys are much smaller than when we were kids.

:0)

wolfie3000 17:22 25 Oct 09

This is even worse in America where they make cereal boxes thinner so it looks as if your getting the same, also the dent in soda bottles at the bottom.

But im not surprised its happening here,
Cant really moan if you live in a capitalist society,

I myself aint so much worried over how much i get in a box, rather whats in it to boost company profits.

TopCat® 17:27 25 Oct 09

supermarkets occurred a few weeks ago with the wife.

She was shopping for her usual large pack of Ariel washing powder in Tesco and saw its content weight had reduced from 4.75 down to 3.36kgs and the price was £10.38. She didn't buy it and next day she was in our Lidl store. There the exact same item was on offer at £6.20 and when she spoke to the manager she was told the full retail price for that item was just over £8. TC.

Ge-orge 18:36 25 Oct 09

"There the exact same item was on offer at £6.20 and when she spoke to the manager she was told the full retail price for that item was just over £8."

You left a word out of that which is 'recommended' it's the recommended retail price, or RRP. Shops can charge what they like, they don't have to adopt the suggested price by the manufacturer. It's up to you to shop around.

Ge-orge 18:40 25 Oct 09

Costs always go up.

The manufacturer has the choice of increasing the price to retail or reducing the contents in the pack. The obvious less damaging choice is to reduce the pack contents.

Jakimo if there's less in the packet then the fatties are eating less.

AL47 18:44 25 Oct 09

i always go by gramage!

i hte it that cause 'we' are obese these 'tactics' come in!

spuds 23:08 25 Oct 09

As already been pointed out, this practice is nothing new, its been going on for ages. How do you think that the Bogof, pay half price for the second item etc was made possible. Or how places like Tesco can boast that they have just had another successful period, with increased profits, leading to higher bonus payments to directors!.

Here's two examples of profiteering, which will effect most and some people, especially over the winter months.

Gas and electricity prices have increased, yet the watchdogs and consumer bodies have clearly stated that the cost of buying by the supplier and selling to the public are now vastly apart, and reductions in price should be made. Yet the suppliers have stated that this is not at all possible, because they have to maintain profits for future investments.

I like a lot of people buy animal feedstuff, especially seeds for the wild bird population. Go to any store that sells the self packed bags for a £1.00 (usually 750gms), and I can tell you that I buy seed in 20kg bags for £11.00. Work it out, and you will find that to be a very nice profit earner. The same applies for cat and dog plus other pet foods.

Aldi as been selling 4 pint containers of milk for less than a £1.00, yet all the other supermarkets have ncreased their standard prices to about £1.56. Yet the dairy farmers are claiming that they are producing milk at a loss. In some cases to the point of bancruptcy.

Funny old world really :O(

Snec 09:44 26 Oct 09

They treat their suppliers in much the same way as their customers. They've screwed UK farmers into the ground, left hand thread. Now most farm produce sold by the supermarkets is foreign. It is the new modern way. Watch it get worse over the next few years. But then again, someone has to make money.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…