Superb Spanish team lands its reward

Stuartli 22:08 29 Jun 08

Congratulations to Spain on a deserved European Championship final triumph - the team's performances have seen some exciting and hugely entertaining football on show throughout the month.

As Mark Lawrenson rightly pointed out during the final, the German side was well below the standards of its former international teams and, indeed, was fortunate to scrape past an understrength Turkey outfit in the semi-finals.

Germany's current standing can, in fact, be summed up in one sentence: "Frings ain't what they used to be."

Bingalau 22:18 29 Jun 08

Stuartli. I was rooting for Germany right from the start of the competition and thought they would manage a last few minutes equaliser. However it wasn't to be. Spain certainly outclassed them but were helped quite a lot by the referee too. I think the German team's defence was very poor and some of the old stalwarts such as Rubberknickers must be sick as the proverbial pig watching them. (Sie denken, das Spiel sei schon zu ende.... jetst ist es auch. Und Ich bin krank wie ein Papagei,)

gardener 22:22 29 Jun 08

Stuartli,

Absolutely agree, the best football I've seen since Brazil's heyday. Deserved winners in every respect.

birdface 00:07 30 Jun 08

I think one of the german supporters summed it up perfectly when he said it was one of the worst German teams ever to reach the Final.I don't dissagree with him.But one thing that you can say about them they always get to the finals.While none of the UK home teams could get that far.

birdface 00:21 30 Jun 08

Also congratulations to Spain who were outstanding in every game they played and worthy winners.I think all teams that took part helped make it one of the best football competitions that I have seen in the last 40 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…