Super private motor yacht sets 'sail' from Plymouth

TopCat® 18:24 03 Mar 12
Answered

'THE LARGEST private motor yacht ever to have been constructed in Britain has sailed from Plymouth on course to its new owners....'

From the photos given, I reckon the owners will be leaving the handling and navigation to the skipper and crew. No thrill of the do-it-yourself then just to see how she handles. What a shame! :) Agreed? TC.

MY Vava II

Aitchbee 18:51 03 Mar 12

I would want to know if I could get a good game of snooker on it...

Quickbeam 18:55 03 Mar 12

Maybe the queen would like to charter it this year seeing as she can't afford her own.

Aitchbee 18:55 03 Mar 12

...if it was a hurricaine outside?

john bunyan 19:00 03 Mar 12

Captain Francesco Schettino is looking for work....

morddwyd 19:19 03 Mar 12

If you've got it, flaunt it!

That's what you call a company mission statement!

HondaMan 20:42 03 Mar 12

Ugly thing innit?

Aitchbee 22:00 03 Mar 12

TopCat - when I drew a yacht at school, aged 7, it had sails on it. (with reference to 'sail' in your header).

I could draw ocean liners as well...I might have another go...at both.

TopCat® 00:19 04 Mar 12
Answer

Several years ago the 'in thing' then to be included in some new merchant ships designs was a computer controlled mast and 'sail'. This was to be used when wind conditions allowed to aid in the ship's propulsion, thereby hopefully saving a few hundred tons of engine fuel by its use.

I remember seeing film of one converted, medium sized ship underway on trials, but I can't recall any others in actual service. TC.

OTT_B 11:06 04 Mar 12

TopCat®

From the looks of this company who made some fairly high profile press releases a few years ago, the idea hasn't 'taken off', so to speak.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…