"The Sunday Mirror's defence correspondent

Forum Editor 12:55 10 Jan 10

has been killed in an explosion in Afghanistan"

We hear a lot about the bravery of our armed forces, but seldom anything about the people who (unarmed) accompany them on their missions in the front line - all in the cause of news-gathering.

My sister-in-law once had a boyfriend who was a well-known TV war correspondent, and some of the stories he told about his work in combat zones made me realise that covering conflicts is definitely not at the glamorous end of journalism.

Graham. 12:57 10 Jan 10

Very sad to hear that, FE.

Bingalau 13:55 10 Jan 10

Very sad, these people do a wonderful job of reporting the news. Some of the footage from WW2 is still used extensively and shows how close they got to the front line. Some of them were actually in it.

cream. 14:09 10 Jan 10

who bring us the news from front line positions in war torn regions of the world. So we can read the news in the comfort of our own homes.

So sad to hear Rupert Hamer and a yet unknown soldier have lost their lives. His wife and children must be devistated.

spuds 14:37 10 Jan 10

Think Terry Lloyd who was killed and Martin Bell, Sandy Gaul who were both badly injured, but to name only three of many.

'War Zone' (many areas) reporters are far more protected nowadays than what they were years gone bye, but like all conflicts, that stray bullet, land-mine,shell or even 'friendly-fire' is not selective as to who the victim might have perhaps been.

morddwyd 18:09 10 Jan 10

I am sure there are many of my generation who never thought any face off was serious, or who never started getting nervous, until Kate Adie turned uo.

Forum Editor 23:07 10 Jan 10

It used to be said that a British General once radioed a message to his field commanders 'Kate Adie has arrived, you can engage the enemy now'.

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:29 11 Jan 10

Kate Adie...that woman is a Jonah, everywhere she goes there is trouble.

G

morddwyd 20:11 11 Jan 10

Don't knock Kate.

My proudest possession (even though it no longer fits) is a Combined News Pool "Desert Storm" T shirt personally sent, by her, via my son!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

How to install MacOS Sierra on an older Mac: Get Sierra running on Macs & MacBooks from before 2009