Sunday, bloody Sunday.

Cymro. 11:19 24 Jun 07

So how do you like your Sundays these days?
Things have changed a lot over the years. There was a time when I was a kid that no shops were

open and around here not even the pubs were open. We were not aloud out to play and all the

streets were deserted with the only people out and about were the once going off the chapel

or church. I had to attend a chapel three times every Sunday and I did not enjoy it.

No I am not going to hearken back to the so called good old days as I personally prefer the modern Sunday.

Cymro. 11:20 24 Jun 07

Off to the pub now so will not read your replies till tomorrow.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:23 24 Jun 07

Sunday for a lot of people is now just another working day, rather than a day of rest.

Must admit don't miss being woken up by the "sally army" band

I like Sundays for the F1.

Forum Editor 11:37 24 Jun 07

But I'm not complaining - I'll be relaxing later.

I confess that I look forwards to weekends more now than in the past; it has something to do with the pace of life, I think. I live in London, and like all cities it's humming 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Shops are open, and the roads are packed with cars.

The one place I can truly get away from it all is in my garden - it's a haven of peace where I hear no traffic and see no other houses. I go there as much as I can, and sit staring at nothing.

If I could wave a wand and change one thing about our society at a stroke I would legislate to close all shops (bar some chemists) on Sundays.

DieSse 11:43 24 Jun 07

"I would legislate to close all shops (bar some chemists) on Sundays."

That would discriminate against -

The non-religious

Those whose work patterns make it difficult to shop at other times.

If I could wave a magic wand I would legislate to make all days equivalent to each other, and let people choose their life styles to fit. Not that would be the "one thing", or even the most important :-))

Forum Editor 11:47 24 Jun 07

It has nothing to do with religion. I didn't say I would legislate because of religious considerations - it would be done for social reasons.

It happened in the past, and we got on just fine. I don't have a religious bone in my body, but I certainly wouldn't feel disciminated against, and as for work patterns, that's complete nonsense. Shops are open almost around the clock for six days a week. Nobody has a work pattern that means they can only shop on Sundays.

lisa02 11:57 24 Jun 07

Initially I though the thread was about "Bloody Sunday".

Anyway, I work every other weekend and this one I'm off. Well I did go in for a few hours yesterday morning, but besides that I ain't doing much.

Lazy day in the house with my little bratz.

spuds 12:24 24 Jun 07

The church bells around our neck of the woods no longer toll out on a Sundays. The chemist closes at 1pm on Saturday. A short car journey to Adsa/Tesco/Morrison/Aldi/Sainsburys/PCW et al, pouring down with rain, so I suppose nothing really to get excited about.

Guardianangel 12:34 24 Jun 07

I would also like to revert to shops being closed on a Sunday, or at least one day a week, but I would love to be awakened by the Salvation Army band. Church bells are nice too, better than the noise coming from some cars.

Sundays are the same as all the other days for me when I do all the usual things like walking the dog twice a day but not shopping.

Nothing wrong with a day of rest for the workers and a chance to relax.

lisa02 12:51 24 Jun 07

Sundays pay time and a half, it's a nice boost to my tiny paypacket. I like Sunday's as they are, except maybe trading hours extended for retailers.

Si_L 13:02 24 Jun 07

Sundays are fine the way the shops stay open at the moment - supermarkets, chemists, and restaurants.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…